The Student Room Group

Did my buddy block my progression on purpose?

The firm is small and informal: when I first joined as an intern, I was not allowed any access to the files until 2 weeks in
The line manager was often away on business trips/illness leave/family emergencies and so did f all for me in terms of assigning tasks except at the very beginning
My line manager assigned me a buddy who was supposed to give me tasks. She gave me the most menial ones. I begged for a financial modelling one and she did almost nothing bar 2 hours or less of training with me on that.
I asked her for more help with that model and she didnt help me, saying that she was busy, which she was as this firm was small and understaffed
I asked her for some material for another task and she gave me the wrong ones twice (!)
I got the right materials off another colleague, who then put me in touch with someone who can help me
She is an international student so I think she may be feel her employment is unsteady/precarious as she is on a contract and not a grad scheme. Thus she may not have been very supportive/friendly towards me.

I talked this through with my HR friend and my HR friend told me I was ungrateful and should have looked for others to support me if my line manager/buddy were unsupportive. But my team were also busy and understaffed.

I then spoke to my civil servant friend and she told me that in the civil service, interns and trainees would have dedicated 1:1 training with people one rank above them, whereby the interns would catch up with their managers at least once a week. Thus, should I be ****ed that I never received this kind of support?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending