The Student Room Group

Help with A-levels/sixthform

Can anyone suggest on what to do during the summer from y11 to y12?
(I will be relaxing and enjoying myself!!)
I'll be taking mathematics, physics and biology.
Please suggest anything I could do beforehand to make sixth-form just that little bit easier.
Also,
Would it be worth it taking an EPQ? I sat my Russian a-level this year (same time as GCSES) and am predicted an A*. So, I'd have 4 a-levels, but an EPQ sounds interesting and it could benefit me, so should I?
EPQ would be a good thing to do if your 4th A Level is relatively easy to deal with!

Just relax this summer. Celebrate. It'll be a while until you can be this relaxed :u:
But... if you really want to do something, read some books related to your subjects
Reply 2
Okay thank you so much!

Original post by Bookworm524
EPQ would be a good thing to do if your 4th A Level is relatively easy to deal with!

Just relax this summer. Celebrate. It'll be a while until you can be this relaxed :u:
But... if you really want to do something, read some books related to your subjects
Consider doing a summer school/course in what you're thinking of studying, or a hobby! Maybe start reading up on some things you find interesting relating to your A-level subjects (not content for the subjects themselves, just fun stuff) it'll help with writing your personal statement in yr12 summer term if you've already done the super-curricular things you put in the statement. A lot of people get to the yr12 summer and realise they've done almost nothing on the side, but by them they're too busy with a-levels to catch up on super-curriculars too. Make sure you do a whole bunch of relaxing though, a good break is needed before a-levels appear. Go clothes shopping if you're no longer wearing uniform where you're doing A-levels.

I did an EPQ (I got an A*), and it was good! It took me from October-September to finish it, so keep that in mind. You need to learn some research and citation skills so it's very handy for when you go to uni. Pick an interesting and out-of-the-box topic so you can use it for your uni applications and to make it fun.
EPQ is a good idea and will look good on your uni applications as an extra little something. However id recommend doing your EPQ in year 12 over year 13 to save the stress. i know people who postponed doing their EPQ untill year 13 and i think they regretted it :smile:
Also dont worry about studying over the summer, have fun and enjoy yourself. If you really want to do something id recommend looking at past papers / mark schemes. or ask your teachers for some transition tasks, to see whats coming! hopefully it wont put you off too much

Quick Reply

Latest