The Student Room Group

Not gotten any offers, should I be concerned? (CS)

Hello!
I submitted my application around the start of January. I'm curious at what point no offers should concern me, I have only received confirmation emails and admissions tests that every applicant gets (where applicable) from my choices. I'm aware that 'no news is good news' but at what point does no news shift to bad news?

My A-levels are Mathematics, CS and Electronics. I also take a creative media BTEC equivalent to 1.5 A-Levels (Max 84 UCAS Points).

I have applied to Durham, Bath, St Andrews, UCL & Imperial all for CS. Should I be concerned? Or am I overanalyzing? My main cause for concern is only that I don't know anyone who hasn't received at least one offer yet so it worries me. I know so many who have had offers from Durham and Bath especially, albeit for subjects that aren't Computer Science.

I would love your take, thank you.
Those are all very competitive uni courses and it will take a while for them to decide. They have until sometime in May.
Reply 2
Original post by totallyfine
Those are all very competitive uni courses and it will take a while for them to decide. They have until sometime in May.

Yeah, May 16th I believe. Could I realistically be waiting until the very last minute? I know some have earlier deadlines than May, Imperial for example guarantees a response by March 31st so long as it's submitted before equal consideration
Reply 3
Original post by Bolognase
Hello!
I submitted my application around the start of January. I'm curious at what point no offers should concern me, I have only received confirmation emails and admissions tests that every applicant gets (where applicable) from my choices. I'm aware that 'no news is good news' but at what point does no news shift to bad news?

My A-levels are Mathematics, CS and Electronics. I also take a creative media BTEC equivalent to 1.5 A-Levels (Max 84 UCAS Points).

I have applied to Durham, Bath, St Andrews, UCL & Imperial all for CS. Should I be concerned? Or am I overanalyzing? My main cause for concern is only that I don't know anyone who hasn't received at least one offer yet so it worries me. I know so many who have had offers from Durham and Bath especially, albeit for subjects that aren't Computer Science.

Don't worry, it's still very early in the application cycle, particularly for highly sought-after courses.

It's not unusual for confirmations to come as late as May. I received my first offer (from UCL for engineering) around mid-March, but I know many others who didn't receive any offers until April or May. The more competitive the course, the longer the process tends to take as academics for competitive courses scrutinize applications much much more thoroughly, as opposed to less in demand courses which may focus essentially only on predicted grades.

At the end of the day, there's an pretty significant element of luck involved in applications (especially in CS) so you can't rlly speculate how things will go. However, unless there's a significant flaw in your application (which is highly unlikely as you've already been given admission tests and haven't been rejected yet), you're almost certain to receive offers. My personal advice would be to focus on performing well academically in any upcoming exams, as I've come across a lot of people who received offers but then struggled to meet their academic requirements (especially for imperial).
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Sure thank you that's very reassuring. I'd say the only flaw in my application is the lack of further mathematics so I'm anticipating that'll cause me many headaches. Aside from that my predicted grades are perfect and my personal statement strongly conveys my passion, as does my reference and my strong GCSE results.

Not sure how I did on Imperials admissions test, so that may potentially also be a weak point for me. Irrespective I shall keep diligently waiting!
(edited 2 months ago)
Completely normal for those unis at this time of year.
Hello!

heyy i also applied to durham for CS and i haven’t heard back
Reply 7
Original post by pumpkinhamoody
heyy i also applied to durham for CS and i haven’t heard back

Nice. Reassuring to know it's all normal procedure so far, I hope both our responses come through soon! Good luck 🤞 What are you predicted out of curiosity + what subject combination?

Nice. Reassuring to know it's all normal procedure so far, I hope both our responses come through soon! Good luck 🤞 What are you predicted out of curiosity + what subject combination?

i got predicted triple A*s for physics, cs and mathss how abt u??
Reply 9
Original post by pumpkinhamoody
i got predicted triple A*s for physics, cs and mathss how abt u??

Impressive! I'm predicted similar, triple A stars for maths, CS and electronics and D* for my 1.5 a level equiv BTEC course
Reply 10
Hello!

OK so all of the universities you have applied to take some time to get back to you.

I myself applied in September on 27/09 (I'm an early applicant - applied to Cambridge but got rejected ☹️) and I'm still waiting on Durham so I would be shocked to find out you have an offer from them this early unless you fall under the contextual applicant scheme.

Bath - They have started to give out loads of CS offers already. In school, there are 6 people who applied for CS, of whom 3 applied to Bath (I didn't apply to Bath and preferred Edinburgh over it) and all three have offers from Bath. I also know many people outside of school who have Bath offers.

St Andrews and UCL - Much like Durham, regardless of who you are, they will take their time. They tend to send out their offers in March/April. I have a friend who applied for EEE at UCL in early October (early applicant like me but also rejected) and he is still waiting on them so nothing to worry about. As for St Andrews, I have a friend who applied for Economics and is still waiting. CS at St Andrews is a competitive course so it will take some time. I expect that they will hand out offers later on (maybe around same time as UCL?).

Imperial - The speed at which Imperial processes your application is very much down to how much merit you show on your application. You must have done the admissions test. How did you find it? What do you think you got? Now, I applied to Imperial and I got my offer back in December a week before Christmas.

This was my timeline:

Applied - 27/09
Admissions test invite - 09/10
Admissions test - 12/10
Interview invite - 10/11
Interview day - 29/11
Offer - 18/12.

Now, given that the last interview date is the 28th of Feb, I would anticipate that the least amount of time they can give you to prepare for it would be 6 days so if you don't hear by the 22nd, I would assume a rejection (but still keep SOME hope!). I personally found the admissions test really really easy but I am currently finding it hard to prepare for the STEP. I got the standard offer so the A level requirements isn't a problem (at least I hope it doesn't end up being one) but the STEP is horrible! Currently, I'm only getting one or two questions completely correct and partial answers in the rest of the paper.
Reply 11
Original post by vnayak
OK so all of the universities you have applied to take some time to get back to you.

I myself applied in September on 27/09 (I'm an early applicant - applied to Cambridge but got rejected ☹️) and I'm still waiting on Durham so I would be shocked to find out you have an offer from them this early unless you fall under the contextual applicant scheme.

Bath - They have started to give out loads of CS offers already. In school, there are 6 people who applied for CS, of whom 3 applied to Bath (I didn't apply to Bath and preferred Edinburgh over it) and all three have offers from Bath. I also know many people outside of school who have Bath offers.

St Andrews and UCL - Much like Durham, regardless of who you are, they will take their time. They tend to send out their offers in March/April. I have a friend who applied for EEE at UCL in early October (early applicant like me but also rejected) and he is still waiting on them so nothing to worry about. As for St Andrews, I have a friend who applied for Economics and is still waiting. CS at St Andrews is a competitive course so it will take some time. I expect that they will hand out offers later on (maybe around same time as UCL?).

Imperial - The speed at which Imperial processes your application is very much down to how much merit you show on your application. You must have done the admissions test. How did you find it? What do you think you got? Now, I applied to Imperial and I got my offer back in December a week before Christmas.

This was my timeline:

Applied - 27/09
Admissions test invite - 09/10
Admissions test - 12/10
Interview invite - 10/11
Interview day - 29/11
Offer - 18/12.

Now, given that the last interview date is the 28th of Feb, I would anticipate that the least amount of time they can give you to prepare for it would be 6 days so if you don't hear by the 22nd, I would assume a rejection (but still keep SOME hope!). I personally found the admissions test really really easy but I am currently finding it hard to prepare for the STEP. I got the standard offer so the A level requirements isn't a problem (at least I hope it doesn't end up being one) but the STEP is horrible! Currently, I'm only getting one or two questions completely correct and partial answers in the rest of the paper.

Firstly, Congratulations on your Imperial offer! It's a shame about Cambridge, there's always postgraduate etc.

Yeah... that looming interview date. I anticipate an Imperial rejection based on my lack of FM and the admissions test. I wasn't sure how well I had done, it'd put it in the range of 6-7 roughly. I was uncertain of my mark for many questions and given I didn't take FM even though my school offered it (albeit due to being ill-informed), it's looking pretty gloomy there. I have heard many rough stories about the STEP, it's no easy feat for sure.

I believe I'm contextually eligible for Durham and UCL - so there is also concern there. Though early in the application cycle I do admit it does still feel like it's all falling apart and I'm sure it will continue to feel that way until I hear back.

And hearing Bath has given out so many offers doesn't give me much faith either. If it all winds up in a slew of rejections in spite of my predicted grades, GCSEs and PS I'll take a gap year and complete the Further Maths A-Level. It's so very nerve-racking stuff, I hope it all goes well in the end, I genuinely just want to study the subject I love and am passionate about. I know they're all competitive but of all the parts of my application, the real barrier I see is FM.
Reply 12
Firstly, Congratulations on your Imperial offer! It's a shame about Cambridge, there's always postgraduate etc.

Yeah... that looming interview date. I anticipate an Imperial rejection based on my lack of FM and the admissions test. I wasn't sure how well I had done, it'd put it in the range of 6-7 roughly. I was uncertain of my mark for many questions and given I didn't take FM even though my school offered it (albeit due to being ill-informed), it's looking pretty gloomy there. I have heard many rough stories about the STEP, it's no easy feat for sure.

I believe I'm contextually eligible for Durham and UCL - so there is also concern there. Though early in the application cycle I do admit it does still feel like it's all falling apart and I'm sure it will continue to feel that way until I hear back.

And hearing Bath has given out so many offers doesn't give me much faith either. If it all winds up in a slew of rejections in spite of my predicted grades, GCSEs and PS I'll take a gap year and complete the Further Maths A-Level. It's so very nerve-racking stuff, I hope it all goes well in the end, I genuinely just want to study the subject I love and am passionate about. I know they're all competitive but of all the parts of my application, the real barrier I see is FM.

Thank you for your kind words! Even if I did get into Cambridge, while I LOVE the town and the college system, I don't think that the intensive theory-and-research-focussed workload is for me and I would have backed Imperial anyway (since I want to get into industry and the research element is still present though it's not the major thing that is being pushed). Furthermore, for industry, experience matters more than anything else so for this reason, Imperial or Oxford would be best since they have the best internship opportunities for the top companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. Now, since I didn't apply to Oxford (because TMUA is way easier for Cambridge and our school has a much better success rate with Cambridge for the past decade), I can't consider this as a choice so Imperial all the way!

As you say yourself, being rejected from a top university isn't a be all and end all. You have to consider the serious competition of the respective applicant pools and while there are indeed a select number of individuals who get in without having done Further Maths or Computer Science, the majority of applicants definitely get in through doing most, if not all, of the preferred subjects. I wish you all of the best of luck for all of your decisions and not to worry too much.

6 or 7 out of 10 is still a decent score. I would say that it puts you in with decent chances for interview (looking at past data) but by no means can I say that it's a high chance or a guarantee. I wouldn't worry too much about Imperial rejecting you to be honest. As part of the offer, you will have to sit the STEP, which requires AS level Further Maths content at the very least and given the short time frame to exams, I would say that the chances of you being able to cover all of that content is very slim and if you plan to, I would advise against it as you would have to put your A level revision to a side, which at the end of the day is the most important thing. I do Further Maths and I'm finding the STEP difficult so I can't imagine what it's like doing it without doing Further Maths and/or without teaching it to yourself in the past.

Now, you say that you are contextual eligible for Durham and UCL - I simply said that most of the offers that they have given out have been contextual and/or international so I wouldn't worry about not receiving an offer. They are by no means done with the offer roll-out process so don't worry. Sorry about the lack of clarity in my response lol and I'm sorry if I've worried you in any way.

The offers that have come back from Bath have all been mostly people who do Further Maths A level. They've only just started handing out offers to people who applied in September so don't worry. When they come to your series of applicants, I'm sure you'll get the offer.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get all of your offers back!
Reply 13
Original post by vnayak
Thank you for your kind words! Even if I did get into Cambridge, while I LOVE the town and the college system, I don't think that the intensive theory-and-research-focussed workload is for me and I would have backed Imperial anyway (since I want to get into industry and the research element is still present though it's not the major thing that is being pushed). Furthermore, for industry, experience matters more than anything else so for this reason, Imperial or Oxford would be best since they have the best internship opportunities for the top companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. Now, since I didn't apply to Oxford (because TMUA is way easier for Cambridge and our school has a much better success rate with Cambridge for the past decade), I can't consider this as a choice so Imperial all the way!

As you say yourself, being rejected from a top university isn't a be all and end all. You have to consider the serious competition of the respective applicant pools and while there are indeed a select number of individuals who get in without having done Further Maths or Computer Science, the majority of applicants definitely get in through doing most, if not all, of the preferred subjects. I wish you all of the best of luck for all of your decisions and not to worry too much.

6 or 7 out of 10 is still a decent score. I would say that it puts you in with decent chances for interview (looking at past data) but by no means can I say that it's a high chance or a guarantee. I wouldn't worry too much about Imperial rejecting you to be honest. As part of the offer, you will have to sit the STEP, which requires AS level Further Maths content at the very least and given the short time frame to exams, I would say that the chances of you being able to cover all of that content is very slim and if you plan to, I would advise against it as you would have to put your A level revision to a side, which at the end of the day is the most important thing. I do Further Maths and I'm finding the STEP difficult so I can't imagine what it's like doing it without doing Further Maths and/or without teaching it to yourself in the past.

Now, you say that you are contextual eligible for Durham and UCL - I simply said that most of the offers that they have given out have been contextual and/or international so I wouldn't worry about not receiving an offer. They are by no means done with the offer roll-out process so don't worry. Sorry about the lack of clarity in my response lol and I'm sorry if I've worried you in any way.

The offers that have come back from Bath have all been mostly people who do Further Maths A level. They've only just started handing out offers to people who applied in September so don't worry. When they come to your series of applicants, I'm sure you'll get the offer.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get all of your offers back!

Yes, I couldn't agree more, there's a lot to factor in with such intensive institutions, and equally, I'd value Imperial over Oxbridge due to its course structure, which I agree gives a stronger skillset for work post-graduation, and its location in central London. Being that these universities operate at such high levels it does come more down to personal preference and what's right for each individual and their future aspirations. I wish you all the best in your career, the rapid evolution of CS in the coming years will be a wild ride that's for certain...

STEP would be difficult for me without Further Mathematics, I won't dwell on any rejections - and if I do get an ICL offer I would have to consider my other options as it may be more worthwhile to, like you say, focus on my A-Levels. I would not want to fumble the ball and fall through on any prospective insurance. UCL's contextual A*AB is very compelling to me, I think if I had every offer I would struggle not to take them up on it.

It's no problem at all you haven't worried me more than I already was haha, my application only went to Bath at the start of January so I'm relieved that those you know receiving offers generally applied in Sept. Very thoughtful words from yourself and I appreciate that very much.

Good luck to you also!
Hello!

I am sure its very early to get worried about not having any offers yet especially since you applied only like a month ago, compared to people who applied in October for example.
Macrh and April are definitely catalyst months-- its during this time when most unis send out their offers and I think May is mostly for rejections to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending