The Student Room Group

Need Help - Number of short men in the UK

I need an estimated number of adult men in the UK who are 5'7 or below.

Can anyone help me find this?

I've been searching around to no avail

I've found:
Average Male Height
Mean Height By Gender

But I need a figure under a certain height.
So I used this website https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/ (not the most reliable possibly but you could find a similar one that might be more reliable)
It said 5"7"" is 24.7% percentile
So then find the number of adult males in the Uk, and find 24.7% of it?
Reply 2
Original post by Fibonacci28
So I used this website https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/ (not the most reliable possibly but you could find a similar one that might be more reliable)
It said 5"7"" is 24.7% percentile
So then find the number of adult males in the Uk, and find 24.7% of it?

Interesting resource, thanks man.

Question: What's the difference between the height field and the average field? Average what, average height in the UK?
Original post by niloomiloo
Interesting resource, thanks man.

Question: What's the difference between the height field and the average field? Average what, average height in the UK?

Yes that's what it means.
It auto fills in when you select the country
and then also auto fills in the standard deviation of heights in that country and then uses that to estimate proportion
Reply 4
Original post by Fibonacci28
Yes that's what it means.
It auto fills in when you select the country
and then also auto fills in the standard deviation of heights in that country and then uses that to estimate proportion

Thanks. Not good at math so one more question.

Does the 24.7 percentile cover 5'7 and below, or just 5'7? If it's the latter, do I need to find percentiles and convert them for individual heights like 5'6, 5'5... and then add all the numbers up?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by niloomiloo
Thanks. Not good at math so one more question.

Does the 24.7 percentile cover 5'7 and below, or just 5'7? If it's the latter, do I need to find percentiles and convert them for individual heights like 5'6, 5'5... and then add all the numbers up?

It covers 5'7 and below

Quick Reply

Latest