The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Birmingham City University accommodation - January Start

Hello, I am starting a postgraduate course at BCU in January and I am still looking for accommodation. I have applied to places on spareroom but most are looking for people to move in immediately - I do not have anyone to move in with but I'm trepidatious about moving into halls as I'll be nearly 23 when I start and don't want to just be living with 18-year-olds (no offence to any 18-year-old users!)

I know a few halls blocks have January starts - are there any that are recommendable (preferably with a large proportion of older/postgrad students - I did my undergrad at Coventry and the majority of people I met in the last halls block I stayed at were postgrads afaict)? The ones I have seen are around £160 a week which is more than I would like to spend but I'll take what I can get at this point. I will be studying at the south campus but happy to live closer to the main campus.

In terms of housing, I have looked at student houses on spareroom and as mentioned the majority are not looking for January starters. Are there other avenues for finding student housing in Birmingham that any of you could recommend?
Original post by ArtisticScreech
Hello, I am starting a postgraduate course at BCU in January and I am still looking for accommodation. I have applied to places on spareroom but most are looking for people to move in immediately - I do not have anyone to move in with but I'm trepidatious about moving into halls as I'll be nearly 23 when I start and don't want to just be living with 18-year-olds (no offence to any 18-year-old users!)

I know a few halls blocks have January starts - are there any that are recommendable (preferably with a large proportion of older/postgrad students - I did my undergrad at Coventry and the majority of people I met in the last halls block I stayed at were postgrads afaict)? The ones I have seen are around £160 a week which is more than I would like to spend but I'll take what I can get at this point. I will be studying at the south campus but happy to live closer to the main campus.

In terms of housing, I have looked at student houses on spareroom and as mentioned the majority are not looking for January starters. Are there other avenues for finding student housing in Birmingham that any of you could recommend?

Hi @ArtisticScreech

I know the struggle of finding the right place to live!

I go to the City Centre campus, and can offer some suggestions for accommodation nearby, but I think for you, it would be best if you could get somewhere nearer the City South campus.

I'm guessing you will have already looked at the accommodation on the BCU website, where Beech Gardens and Queen's Hospital Close are the nearest accommodations to City South. I am unsure of whether they offer January starts, but if you liked either of these it might be worth emailing them directly.

Another accommodation that may appeal to you for your budget is HamCam, which is a bit further out of the city centre, but they have studios if you are preferring to live alone for your postgrad, or there are also shared flats. Again, I am unknowing of whether they offer January starts, but this could be confirmed in an email to them. They also offer a bus pass offer with their flats due to the accommodation being further away, meaning you can get a bus pass included in the rent, as well as bills included too.

Here is the link to their website if you want to have a look at their rooms: https://www.ham-cam.com/

I hope you find something you like, but drop me a message below if you need some more help.
Emily 🙂
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
hi there ive got an ensuite near the main campus Staniforth house
hi there ive got an ensuite near the main campus Staniforth house
I’ve got an en suite in city center, 5 minutos walk to the station
Reply 5
i have accommodation available in the city centre
Reply 6
Original post by ArtisticScreech

Hi there, I have a great room at Bentley House. I am moving out because my mum needs me at home. It's a ten minute walk away from BCU. It's a standard classic en suite room with a shared kitchen. The other students who you would share the kitchen with are aged 19 to 22. Bentley House is rated the best out of all the BCU accommodations with 4.5 stars. There's a gym facility free of charge. There's also washing machines and dryers. I can let you know how to use them for free. There's a pool table in the main lounge area as well as table tennis. In the shared kitchen there are sofa's and a TV. The cost is £165 per week. I would definitely say that it's worth it. My flat is on the best floor (second) so no need to take the elevator or lots of stairs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending