The Student Room Group

GCSE history

Hi....what can help to improve my history exam and revision tips!
Original post by Akaylah.999
Hi....what can help to improve my history exam and revision tips!

Hello! I'm currently in year 13 but I did GCSE history and I am now doing it at A-Level, so I thought I'd help out!

With history, there are a few key things to remember and, most significantly, here they are:

1) Timing!!!! - Timing is probably the biggest challenge in a history exam. Make sure you begin the exam by answering the question with the most marks and work your way backwards!

2) Flash cards or mindmaps - I personally used flashcards for history as it helped me revise key details, such as dates, better. However, use whatever you know works best for you!

3) Remember, whilst history does test your historical knowledge, it also tests you on source analysis. Your points need to be backed up by your own knowledge!! Does the source fail to mention something? Does the author have a bias - why? etc etc....

What exam board are you sitting your exams with? These are all I can think of now so if you have any further questions, please let me know!!

Hope this helps somewhat!! 🙂 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by glutennacht
Hello! I'm currently in year 13 but I did GCSE history and I am now doing it at A-Level, so I thought I'd help out!

With history, there are a few key things to remember and, most significantly, here they are:

1) Timing!!!! - Timing is probably the biggest challenge in a history exam. Make sure you begin the exam by answering the question with the most marks and work your way backwards!

2) Flash cards or mindmaps - I personally used flashcards for history as it helped me revise key details, such as dates, better. However, use whatever you know works best for you!

3) Remember, whilst history does test your historical knowledge, it also tests you on source analysis. Your points need to be backed up by your own knowledge!! Does the source fail to mention something? Does the author have a bias - why? etc etc....

What exam board are you sitting your exams with? These are all I can think of now so if you have any further questions, please let me know!!

I'm doing AQA
Reply 3
Original post by glutennacht

And thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending