The Student Room Group

mid student

started alevels 3 months ago now and i’m getting half / just above half on all my exams (more like end of topic tests). i can never seem to do exceptionally well. anyone have any tips? i do bio, chem + english lit btw :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by annoymous72
started alevels 3 months ago now and i’m getting half / just above half on all my exams (more like end of topic tests). i can never seem to do exceptionally well. anyone have any tips? i do bio, chem + english lit btw :smile:

Hi there

I was also in your situation when studying Biology and Chemistry and year 12. For me, it was one of those subjects that took a longer time to pull my grades up (and I only managed to achieve higher marks after entering year 13). So do not be too harsh on yourself, you already have strong foundations on the subjects. (Unfortunately, I did not do English during A levels).

Firstly, I would recommend continuing with whatever memorisation techniques are useful for you. These will form the basic knowledge, and the more difficult part is application. For application of the knowledge, what I found really useful was doing past papers (especially those from the same exam board), marking them myself, analysing them and keeping them on file. The important part is to keep track of questions where you have gone wrong, what the mark scheme wants to achieve those marks. (In particular, note down keywords that they are looking for in answers).

I compiled a document with all the mistakes I made on questions and reviewed them frequently, especially right before the exams. This really helped to pull up my marks.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by annoymous72

To add above there are lots of YouTube videos on exam techniques which explain how to maximise your marks.Have a look and see if you find them useful particularly for Biology

Quick Reply

Latest