The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL not meeting GCSE requirement

Hi, I am currently in year 12 and I am studying all A Levels including psychology. I always wanted to study this at KCL however they require a 6 in maths and I got a 5 which I was very upset about. I've been told that A levels and recent study is more important so If I'm predicted all A*s and have a good personal statement, is there a slight chance? Please lmk
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am currently in year 12 and I am studying all A Levels including psychology. I always wanted to study this at KCL however they require a 6 in maths and I got a 5 which I was very upset about. I've been told that A levels and recent study is more important so If I'm predicted all A*s and have a good personal statement, is there a slight chance? Please lmk

Not really. GCSE requirements tend to be non negotiable. Ask KCL to see what they say, but be prepared to resit maths.

(Btw maths is important to a psychology degree.)
(edited 1 year ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by ageshallnot
Not really. GCSE requirements tend to be non negotiable. Ask KCL to see what they say, but be prepared to resit maths.

(Btw maths is important to a psychology degree.)

I contacted them! The guy told me that they consider everything in the application so just apply and see what happens, i was confused myself. But I've seen another person who also got a 5 but she got in?
Considering your application isn't the same as giving you an offer.
Considering your application isn't the same as giving you an offer.

True. But I can't say anything rn either because I'm still in year 12 but you'd say even with all A*s no chance?
True. But I can't say anything rn either because I'm still in year 12 but you'd say even with all A*s no chance?

Unfortunately for you universities often use GCSEs as a first sort if they have more applicants than places.
Unfortunately for you universities often use GCSEs as a first sort if they have more applicants than places.

I completely get that, i guess i'll just have to see then.
Thank you tho :smile:

Have you checked which other universities require a 6 in maths for psychology?
Have you checked which other universities require a 6 in maths for psychology?

umm yeah like ucl they want a 6 in maths science and english, I have them for english and science, but its just maths. Other than that there's quite a few that say you need a 5

Let's just say for example there aren't more applicants than spaces (probably not possible but just a scenario) then? Do GCSEs play any other role? Because I did do quite well in all my subjects I got 8s and 9s aswell, It's just maths :frown:
umm yeah like ucl they want a 6 in maths science and english, I have them for english and science, but its just maths. Other than that there's quite a few that say you need a 5

I'm sure there are many that only want a 5. Do you want to study at any of them???
Let's just say for example there aren't more applicants than spaces (probably not possible but just a scenario) then? Do GCSEs play any other role? Because I did do quite well in all my subjects I got 8s and 9s aswell, It's just maths :frown:

If you want to apply to unis that require a 6 in maths I recommend resitting and getting atleast a 6 in maths. If you do not meet entry requirements there is no reason to believe they’d waive them for you
I'm sure there are many that only want a 5. Do you want to study at any of them???

Yeah! There's city and queen mary that I also like, it's just that kcl was a dream for so long so its hard to get off my mind
Yeah! There's city and queen mary that I also like, it's just that kcl was a dream for so long so its hard to get off my mind

So bite the bullet and retake.
So bite the bullet and retake.

Guess that's the only option. Do you know if I can resit before my A levels? Because the resits start literally tomorrow so too late for that
Guess that's the only option. Do you know if I can resit before my A levels? Because the resits start literally tomorrow so too late for that

You can resit next June - start working now!
Reply 16
Did you get in then

Quick Reply

Latest