The Student Room Group

Student Nurse AMA

Hi there,
I'm a third-year student nurse studying adult nursing, and a mature student to boot.

If any of you have any questions about student life or nursing, I'll be happy to answer!

Nat
Original post by LJMUStudentReps
Hi there,
I'm a third-year student nurse studying adult nursing, and a mature student to boot.

If any of you have any questions about student life or nursing, I'll be happy to answer!

Nat

Not stalking you Nat sorry - just been trying to navigate the app and find questions alike mine! I have one for you please! Re the workload of study and placement, I recall getting a sample timetable from the university I am looking at, it was about 3 days in a week but on placement blocks it wasn’t specific on shifts - naturally I guess. Is it a case of you are given what you get and that’s it? I’m just pre-worried (sorry- again!) about childcare days! I don’t want to be the pain in the bum about placements but need some certainty - of course I understand the need to sample different placement shifts/settings/staff.

It all makes me so nervous, not the work or study but the unknown!
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
Hi there,

Nat

Not stalking you Nat sorry - just been trying to navigate the app and find questions alike mine! I have one for you please! Re the workload of study and placement, I recall getting a sample timetable from the university I am looking at, it was about 3 days in a week but on placement blocks it wasn’t specific on shifts - naturally I guess. Is it a case of you are given what you get and that’s it? I’m just pre-worried (sorry- again!) about childcare days! I don’t want to be the pain in the bum about placements but need some certainty - of course I understand the need to sample different placement shifts/settings/staff.

It all makes me so nervous, not the work or study but the unknown!

Hey there,

It can vary. Sometimes you may have a placement that are quite rigid and won’t have much leniency, so they will give you shifts and expect you to do them. This can be 13hr shifts and any day of the week, days or nights.
Then you’ll have community placements where you’ll do Monday to Friday 9-5.
Some placements are understanding and will work around you, but as mentioned, not all are like that unfortunately, unless you have a Reasonable Adjustment Plan in place, which stipulates you need certain days off (and this is organised by your personal tutor)

You’ll typically find out where you’ll be going approximately 3-4 weeks before you start, so getting onto them quickly is key to organising shifts and therefore childcare

Nat
Reply 3
Hi there
Very pleased to have found your post. I am considering starting a 3 year nursing degree and torn between the blended learning option or part time route which would take 4 years. I am approaching 40 and have two children could you advise me what the funding would be like? I would need to leave current employment to pursue the nursing degree. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Have you managed to work through your degree at all?
Original post by Louise2300
Hi there
Very pleased to have found your post. I am considering starting a 3 year nursing degree and torn between the blended learning option or part time route which would take 4 years. I am approaching 40 and have two children could you advise me what the funding would be like? I would need to leave current employment to pursue the nursing degree. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Have you managed to work through your degree at all?

Hi there!

I advise you take a look at the Student Finance calculator which will give you an estimate of how much you’re entitled to:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

On top of that, take a look at the NHS Learning Support Fund booklet. It covers full-time and part-time funding availability, and additional funding for parents:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2023-12/NHS%20LSF%20guidance%20booklet%202023-24%20%28V2%29%2012.2023.pdf

Nursing can be intense at times, and if you attend full-time, you’ll be attending for nearly 11 months out of the year, and will do a mixture of placements, shifts and lectures. I advise that you have a think about what is best for your circumstances

Nat
(Also, apologies for missing out the last bit of your question! Many students work “on the bank” in hospitals, and I do temp work alongside my studies)

Nat
Reply 6
Hi there!

I advise you take a look at the Student Finance calculator which will give you an estimate of how much you’re entitled to:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

On top of that, take a look at the NHS Learning Support Fund booklet. It covers full-time and part-time funding availability, and additional funding for parents:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2023-12/NHS%20LSF%20guidance%20booklet%202023-24%20%28V2%29%2012.2023.pdf

Nursing can be intense at times, and if you attend full-time, you’ll be attending for nearly 11 months out of the year, and will do a mixture of placements, shifts and lectures. I advise that you have a think about what is best for your circumstances

Nat

Thank you so much for your reply I will take a look at the links you have just posted.
Hi there

It can be very off putting when reading many replies I find! But there are positive replies out there too! It is possible - it seems like you need a lot of family support with childcare and a lot of money to be able to afford the childcare.. very offputting
Hi there

It can be very off putting when reading many replies I find! But there are positive replies out there too! It is possible - it seems like you need a lot of family support with childcare and a lot of money to be able to afford the childcare.. very offputting

You can get assistance with childcare costs, however this can vary from person to person, and we always implore people to contact the relevant funding bodies such as Student Finance and the NHS LSF.

Unfortunately for some, it can be difficult to juggle both if the funding is minimal for that particular person, and it can be quite intense

Nat
Hi there

I am in almost exact same situation to you I think too. Kids 3 and 6, I need leave work but need think realistically about childcare options as have no family or support nearby and the cost would fall on me to pay childcare fully and ensure cover for childcare available at each placement/uni day. It is a real obstacle for sure! Makes me wish I had done it all when I was “younger”!
I am in almost exact same situation to you I think too. Kids 3 and 6, I need leave work but need think realistically about childcare options as have no family or support nearby and the cost would fall on me to pay childcare fully and ensure cover for childcare available at each placement/uni day. It is a real obstacle for sure! Makes me wish I had done it all when I was “younger”!

Hi there
This is exactly the same for me it’s me and my husband returning to being a student is both exciting but daunting at the same time especially when already in employment. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending