The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP - do I need further maths for economics and maths at Bristol?

I have applied to Bristol economics and econometrics, I although, have a keen interest in maths and didn’t apply because I thought I would have no chance. Is it possible for me to get into BSc Economics and Maths without A Level further maths. I have an economics based ps with a MOOC on statistical methods for maths. My predicteds are Maths (A*), Physics (A*) and Economics (A).Should I email Bristol asking for this to be changed and to be conseidered for Economics and Maths instead of Economics?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by bens23
I have applied to Bristol economics and econometrics, I although, have a keen interest in maths and didn’t apply because I thought I would have no chance. Is it possible for me to get into BSc Economics and Maths without A Level further maths. I have an economics based ps with a MOOC on statistical methods for maths. My predicteds are Maths (A*), Physics (A*) and Economics (A).Should I email Bristol asking for this to be changed and to be conseidered for Economics and Maths instead of Economics?

From the relevant page on the University of Bristol web site, the standard offer for BSc Economics and Mathematics (LG11) is:

"A*A*A including A* in Mathematics and A in another mathematics-related subject, or A*AA including A*A (in any order) in Mathematics and Further Mathematics.

Mathematics-related subjects include Biology; Chemistry; Computer Science; Economics; and Physics. STEP paper achievement may be included as part of an alternative offer."

As you're taking Physics you meet the subject requirements. However, you would be expected to achieve A*A*A. Your existing BSc Economics and Econometrics (L140) course expects you to obtain A*AA.

I realise that your predicted grades are A*A*A - I'm thinking of the scenario if one of those A*s ends up as an A. So your decision would depend on your confidence in those grades and your appetite for risk.

If you decide that you want to switch, contact the admissions team.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
From the relevant page on the University of Bristol web site, the standard offer for BSc Economics and Mathematics (LG11) is:

"A*A*A including A* in Mathematics and A in another mathematics-related subject, or A*AA including A*A (in any order) in Mathematics and Further Mathematics.

Mathematics-related subjects include Biology; Chemistry; Computer Science; Economics; and Physics. STEP paper achievement may be included as part of an alternative offer."

As you're taking Physics you meet the subject requirements. However, you would be expected to achieve A*A*A. Your existing BSc Economics and Econometrics (L140) course expects you to obtain A*AA.

I realise that your predicted grades are A*A*A - I'm thinking of the scenario if one of those A*s ends up as an A. So your decision would depend on your confidence in those grades and your appetite for risk.

If you decide that you want to switch, contact the admissions team.

I am eligible for contextual offer, this means that the offer would be AAA. Even so, I think I might stick with economics for now and then at the start of the first year maybe try switch onto the course since I have heard that is possible although it comes with risk of them not letting me switch. I'll keep thinking about it.
Original post by bens23
I am eligible for contextual offer, this means that the offer would be AAA. Even so, I think I might stick with economics for now and then at the start of the first year maybe try switch onto the course since I have heard that is possible although it comes with risk of them not letting me switch. I'll keep thinking about it.

OK. The fact that you're contextual reduces the risk somewhat. But I can understand why you might want to stick with your existing choice.
Reply 4
Original post by bens23

You might be allowed to switch, but -- as you note -- it's not guaranteed you'd be able to. And if you switch at the start of the first year then you may well miss work that you'll need to catch up on. You'll probably only have a couple of weeks at the start of term in which a switch can be made; there's normally quite a tight deadline for course changes.

You'll need to have a "Plan B" for if you request to switch course but you're not able to. Would you want to leave at that point (and maybe reapply for admission in Sept 2025)? Or would you carry on studying on a course you don't really want to do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending