The Student Room Group

Can a 17yo do work experience at a special educational needs school?

I have compulsory work experience at my sixth form in the summer. I’m in year 12. I’m not sure what i want to do career-wise but i am thinking something psychology based? Would I be allowed to do work experience at an SEN school? Can anyone think of any other ideas as to what i can do? Thanks
I expect it'll be possible - my partner had arranged to do something similar before COVID interrupted the plan. But the only way to find out will be to get on the front foot and get in touch with a lot of schools. You'll likely need a DBS check - they're not too expensive or time-consuming, though.

If you have any friends, family, etc. who can get you a conversation with the school through a person connection, that will always be extremely helpful. Consider SEND work in mainstream schools as well - that will broaden your options.

On a final note, if it isn't something you can arrange for your work experience, you could plan a gap year to get that experience. I work at Yipiyap, and we put gap year peer tutors into schools and colleges (often working with students with SEND). Equally, you could look at other places to get that "caring" experience during a gap year - my sister, who is training to be a paramedic, worked in the private care sector, for example.

Good luck!
Matthew (Yipiyap gap year ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by user01906002
I have compulsory work experience at my sixth form in the summer. I’m in year 12. I’m not sure what i want to do career-wise but i am thinking something psychology based? Would I be allowed to do work experience at an SEN school? Can anyone think of any other ideas as to what i can do? Thanks

Hi, it is entirely possible. My friend was 16 last year and did work experience at a SEN school. She had connections to the SEN school though so it might be useful asking around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending