The Student Room Group

Learning Python

I've observed a notable surge in parental FOMO regarding enrolling 11-12-year-olds in Python courses. I'm curious about what merits this enthusiasm, considering that Python doesn't seem to be extensively covered in GCSE - at least not beyond what schools plan to teach later on. Your insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
most schools do python in gcse but continue with another language into a levels. my parents were one of those people so i started learned python when i was pretty young (7/8), long term and job-wise most places use more lower level languages such as C/C# and Java/Java Script since this is more easier to make more console based programs, that clients can actually use. Python is a great place to start if the child in question has a love of these things but please don’t make them feel like they have to do this to get anywhere, my parents did and now i’m stuck doing computing even though it’s not a career that my heart is with. Being the only job based skill i had i was forced down this path. please take the child’s view point before you continue!

and yes it’s not extensively covered but i did learn it in more depth outside of school. python is an easy language closer to the english language so it’s easier for kids to catch on, where as languages such as c# it’s not. in python because morst features are built in you can code easier (you can even make your own AI model) but there aren’t a lot of features so not a lot of breath. hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by eenie_49
most schools do python in gcse but continue with another language into a levels. my parents were one of those people so i started learned python when i was pretty young (7/8), long term and job-wise most places use more lower level languages such as C/C# and Java/Java Script since this is more easier to make more console based programs, that clients can actually use. Python is a great place to start if the child in question has a love of these things but please don’t make them feel like they have to do this to get anywhere, my parents did and now i’m stuck doing computing even though it’s not a career that my heart is with. Being the only job based skill i had i was forced down this path. please take the child’s view point before you continue!

and yes it’s not extensively covered but i did learn it in more depth outside of school. python is an easy language closer to the english language so it’s easier for kids to catch on, where as languages such as c# it’s not. in python because morst features are built in you can code easier (you can even make your own AI model) but there aren’t a lot of features so not a lot of breath. hope that helps!

Thanks for your ans. Can I therefore say that it might be beneficial to wait for the school to introduce Python and proceed at their designated pace, rather than acquiring these skills early independently?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by brijeshhihai
Thanks for your ans. Can I therefore say that it might be beneficial to wait for the school to introduce Python and proceed at their designated pace, rather than acquiring these skills early independently?

it completely depends what situation the children are in, i found that learning it prior and having a good understanding of coding helped me greatly, most schools are good at teaching the theory but not so great about coding, i was ahead of the class and understood most coding topics even better than the teachers so much so i was asked to teach the class on more than one occasion! if the children are confident that this is what they will choose for their gcses maybe you can try putting them in classes and if they don’t wish to continue it then it’s good that they realised this earlier on!
Reply 4
Original post by eenie_49
it completely depends what situation the children are in, i found that learning it prior and having a good understanding of coding helped me greatly, most schools are good at teaching the theory but not so great about coding, i was ahead of the class and understood most coding topics even better than the teachers so much so i was asked to teach the class on more than one occasion! if the children are confident that this is what they will choose for their gcses maybe you can try putting them in classes and if they don’t wish to continue it then it’s good that they realised this earlier on!

Perfect, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending