The Student Room Group

How much knowledge do I need to tutor A-level Biology?

I've wanted to tutor A-level biology for a while, but I feel like there are some things that may make me unfit to teach. I did very well in my A-levels, and I had my techniques for doing well that I think I can pass on to other students, but I have some concerns about tutoring:

1) I did my A-Levels in 2022, and my year group had a reduced specification. They basically told us what topics were going to be on the exam. Because of that, there are some topics that my teachers never taught me. If I were to tutor A-level biology, I'd have to spend a considerable amount of time learning these topics well enough that I could teach them.
2) There are two topics in particular (related to genetics) that I remember truly struggling to grasp. In fact, even though I am now a biomedical sciences student, I still don't think I'd be able to grasp that topic even remotely well enough to teach.
3) I haven't looked at the A-level content in over a year since I started university. I'd probably have to refresh myself on everything before I taught.

Does a tutor need to know everything like the back of their hand the same way a student might need to know it? I worry that I won't be able to explain every process found in A-level biology seamlessly. There are also a few topics I may not be able to help students with. I am worried because I know that once I start my second year of university, I won't have a whole lot of time to constantly refresh my a-level biology, so there may be things I forget. With all this considered, should I still be thinking about tutoring A-level biology?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Try using UpLearn. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending