The Student Room Group

masters in digital marketing

Hi, I need some help with my master's. I have recently started my master's at Loughborough University London campus and feel this isn’t the right decision. I’ve only had one week of classes. However, I can’t understand the teachers as they are international and all have accents. Apart from that, they don't teach the course, only read off the board. When I try to communicate with them, they don’t understand the question due to a language barrier.

I feel really frustrated, and it's only been one week. I’m also not from a business background ( this course is meant to be a conversion course), so I'm finding it too hard to keep up with the teachers because one they aren’t explaining properly and secondly because of a language barrier. I can’t really ask for help.

I just feel so deflated and upset about starting the course, and I really don't know why. I just constantly feel like I need to burst into tears about it all. I've even been looking into dropping out, and the course hasn't even begun yet!

Im planning to talk to the course head and see what they say but i know they wont be able to change my teachers and they dont have extra classes for students to take on the side who havnt studied business before.

i also have an offer from royal holloway for january intake for the same course which is accredited and this course im currently at isnt accredited. so im not sure if i should drop out of this course and wait until january to start at royal holloway or stick with this course and see if the teaching gets better.

It really is mystery - I feel so awful about this masters degree - I wasn't like this before starting undergraduate level at all. I just feel like I really can't be bothered to do anything for it or go in next week, and just upset about the whole thing, but I don't know why.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on my feelings or what to do about it all?
Original post by minigemini
Hi, I need some help with my master's. I have recently started my master's at Loughborough University London campus and feel this isn’t the right decision. I’ve only had one week of classes. However, I can’t understand the teachers as they are international and all have accents. Apart from that, they don't teach the course, only read off the board. When I try to communicate with them, they don’t understand the question due to a language barrier.

I feel really frustrated, and it's only been one week. I’m also not from a business background ( this course is meant to be a conversion course), so I'm finding it too hard to keep up with the teachers because one they aren’t explaining properly and secondly because of a language barrier. I can’t really ask for help.

I just feel so deflated and upset about starting the course, and I really don't know why. I just constantly feel like I need to burst into tears about it all. I've even been looking into dropping out, and the course hasn't even begun yet!

Im planning to talk to the course head and see what they say but i know they wont be able to change my teachers and they dont have extra classes for students to take on the side who havnt studied business before.

i also have an offer from royal holloway for january intake for the same course which is accredited and this course im currently at isnt accredited. so im not sure if i should drop out of this course and wait until january to start at royal holloway or stick with this course and see if the teaching gets better.

It really is mystery - I feel so awful about this masters degree - I wasn't like this before starting undergraduate level at all. I just feel like I really can't be bothered to do anything for it or go in next week, and just upset about the whole thing, but I don't know why.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on my feelings or what to do about it all?

Hi @minigemini

We have been in touch with our London Student Support team and they have replied with this information for you:

"We’re really sorry to hear about your concerns and the difficulties you're facing during your first week of the master's programme. We understand that the initial stages of any academic course can be challenging, and it's important for you to feel comfortable and supported during this transition. Firstly, we want to assure you that your welfare is a priority for us, and we are here to assist you in any way we can. It's completely normal to experience a sense of unease when starting a new course, particularly if it involves a significant change in subject matter or teaching style.

We recognise that language barriers can sometimes hinder effective communication with teachers. We encourage you to reach out to your academics and let them know about your difficulties. They may be able to adjust their teaching methods or provide additional resources to assist you in understanding the course material. Additionally, we offer support services for students who may need extra help with language skills. We can connect you with these resources.

Feeling overwhelmed is a common reaction to a major life change like starting a master's program. It's important to remember that you're not alone, and many students go through similar feelings during their academic journey. We recommend discussing your concerns with our student support services or counselling services, where professionals can provide guidance on managing stress and emotions. Before making any decisions, we encourage you to schedule a meeting with the course leader and the Welfare team ([email protected]) and discuss your concerns openly. They may have valuable insights and suggestions for how to navigate the challenges you're facing.

Your wellbeing is our priority, and we are here to support you throughout your academic journey at Loughborough University London. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions."

Hope the above helps and if you have any further questions, please just ask.
Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending