The Student Room Group

computer science university

Hi guys I am in lower 6th right now as an international student.
I was wondering what university should I go I was thinking about Edenborough or UCL or imperial
subject: computer science
in GCSES two7s three8s two6s two9s two5s as you can tell not so great as I am an international not the best at English more of a maths person feel free to ask if you want to know the subjects for the grades.
I need some suggestions on work experience and extra curricular activity as I am not sure what should I do.
can work experience be any job or more specific to the subject?
Sometimes I see stuff like leetcode and online courses are they worth doing?
EPQ and MOOC etc what is it is it important should i do it or not?
Reply 1
Original post by leeproalnjdw
Hi guys I am in lower 6th right now as an international student.
I was wondering what university should I go I was thinking about Edenborough or UCL or imperial
subject: computer science
in GCSES two7s three8s two6s two9s two5s as you can tell not so great as I am an international not the best at English more of a maths person feel free to ask if you want to know the subjects for the grades.
I need some suggestions on work experience and extra curricular activity as I am not sure what should I do.
can work experience be any job or more specific to the subject?
Sometimes I see stuff like leetcode and online courses are they worth doing?
EPQ and MOOC etc what is it is it important should i do it or not?

Computing applicant with offers from Imperial and Edinburgh so I think that I am qualified enough to answer this question.

What are the 7s, 6s and 5s in? I will need more info to make a decision. GCSEs will not make much difference provided the low scores aren't in subjects related to your course.

I got 9999999988 with the 8s in English Literature and Religious Studies.

Work experience - go to springpod.com or theforage.com and do work experience there. The Springpod work experience has lots of programs so knock yourself out with that. You get certificates from this so it's good to show elsewhere like when applying for jobs. TheForage is definitely far more focussed on Economics due to it being liked to J.P. Morgan Chase but there is a software engineering program that I am currently doing and it is quite good. Again, you get a certificate for it.

Don't do an EPQ, it's not worth the hassle unless you are applying to Oxbridge and even then, they don't need it. I would say just do 4 A levels and this is coming from a person doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science and EPQ at A level with 5 A* predictions. EPQ is not a requirement from any of my offers and Oxbridge never do EPQ requirements as well so just don't do it.

Absolutely do MOOCs. Create an account of edX.org and do a course called CS50: Introduction to Computer Science. It's a really nice course. However, it is quite popular so I'd recommend doing other courses that aren't quite as popular so your application stands out. I did a variety of courses covering loads of different skills in addition to CS50.

Leetcode is good but it's more for people going for jobs. I'd recommend doing Project Euler.

I have done loads of different activities which have been mentioned on my personal statement but I don't feel comfortable sharing my activities on here. One piece of advice I would recommend is making your application your own. I.e. tailor it around the things you have done, your interests and your passions.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
I was briefly considering applying for UCL but thought against it due to old facilities so I didn't want to go for it. Plus, student demonstrations regarding a lack of funding interrupted the main Open Day talk when I went so I didn't want to be in that environment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending