The Student Room Group

Computing science and Computing

whats the difference between studying computing and computing science in a university, which one would be more useful for future applications
Original post by peepoopeepoopee
whats the difference between studying computing and computing science in a university, which one would be more useful for future applications

The difference is simply what that university has chosen to name their course. To understand what you'll actually be taught, you need to look at the modules (both mandatory and optional) on both courses.

You could compare a Computing and a Computer Science course and find them quite similar in terms of modules. You could then compare Computer Science course at one university and Computer Science course at another and find less similar - even though the names are the same.

It's the modules which count, not the name of the course. (And employers know that what one university calls Computing another will call Computer Science, so they won't care which name your university used.)
Reply 2
Original post by peepoopeepoopee

I feel Computer Science is always Computer Science, a theoretical study of how Computers work and how we can use them. Whereas Computing is more of a general term which is typically used to highlight more of a ICT focus, typically dealing with the practical troubleshooting side with very little theoretical aspects to it. However, I have seen courses which are called Computing but it's course content is actually very similar to a Computer Science course. For example, I did an access course, it's name was called 'Computing' but next to in in brackets was the text "(Computer Science)". Sometimes both terms are used interchangeably.

If I were you, I'd study a Computer Science Course so there is no confusion on your CV when you have to put down what you have studied. A Computer Science degree looks better on a CV in my opinion, and it's easier to switch over to ICT/IT from a Computer Science degree than vice verse, if that is the direction you are interested in anyway.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending