The Student Room Group

Tax back from travel?

A work colleague told me of a website where he earnt tax back from clothes etc. He got quite a bit.

I forgot this website which I do not see this colleague anymore.

I travel to work from one location to another and have to spend quite a bit on train travel. I'm on one location on a temp basis.

Is it possible I can earn tax back for travel?
Reply 2

OP was referring to travel by train, which doesn't seem to be covered -- the pages refer to use of "cars, vans, motorcycles or bicycles for work".
Reply 3
Original post by Analyst89
A work colleague told me of a website where he earnt tax back from clothes etc. He got quite a bit.

I forgot this website which I do not see this colleague anymore.

I travel to work from one location to another and have to spend quite a bit on train travel. I'm on one location on a temp basis.

Is it possible I can earn tax back for travel?

I don't think you can claim tax back on travel costs -- but if you're working at a different location on a temporary basis, it would be worth asking your employer to cover the costs. It might not be reasonable for them to cover the full cost, but I think it would justified to ask for any increase in daily travel costs. So if daily commute to your normal workplace cost you £15, but the cost of travelling to the temporary location cost you £25 a day, you could ask that you be paid that £10/day additional cost that was being imposed on you.

This might depend on the wording of your contract of employment.
Reply 4
Original post by martin7
OP was referring to travel by train, which doesn't seem to be covered -- the pages refer to use of "cars, vans, motorcycles or bicycles for work".

Exactly, trains not included so can't claim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending