The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Unconditional Offer Dilemma

Hi all, I’ve been offered an unconditional offer for York St John University to study Psychology with Counselling. Originally, I was going to put York as my insurance (if not lower than that) choice but since the offer has come in, I’m starting to consider it more. The only issue is that it’s 2 hours away from where I live currently (an hour on the train) and I’m very reluctant on moving away and into student accommodation. Just wondering if anyone could share their experiences on studying Psychology/student life there and if you do travel by train your experience with that too. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all, I’ve been offered an unconditional offer for York St John University to study Psychology with Counselling. Originally, I was going to put York as my insurance (if not lower than that) choice but since the offer has come in, I’m starting to consider it more. The only issue is that it’s 2 hours away from where I live currently (an hour on the train) and I’m very reluctant on moving away and into student accommodation. Just wondering if anyone could share their experiences on studying Psychology/student life there and if you do travel by train your experience with that too. Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi there,

Congratulations on your unconditional offer to study Psychology with counselling at YSJ!

It is good to hear that you are considering York St John as one of your choices. Although I personally do not study psychology, the people I know who study psychology really enjoy the course and there are so many opportunities for you to use various different equipment and have access to different labs. Furthermore, all the academics who will be teaching you have had experience in various different jobs within the psychological field so are able to draw upon their own unique experiences.

In terms of student life there are different accommodation sites which you may decide you would like to say in but if you do not want to stay in student accommodation you would be able to commute to uni whilst staying at home. If you decide that you would like to commute there is commuters accommodation available at the university where you can stay for up to 3 nights per week.

I would suggest coming to visit us on a decision day where you would be able ask the academics about the course, look around the university and accommodation sites as well as talk to some of our student ambassadors about their own experiences. Our next decision day in Saturday 17th February and the next one afterwards would be Wednesday 27th March 9:00am to 3:30pm.

Hope this helps

Student Ambassador - Katie
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Just to note that I wouldn't let the fact that it's an unconditional offer sway you - it's more of a marketing tool than the uni saying that they think you'd be a great fit. My usual advice is to firm the uni that you most want to go to, regardless of offer grades.

As an aside, I hope YSJ aren't making unconditional offers to people with pending qualifications, (or doing 'unconditional if firmed' offers), as those should have been phased out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending