The Student Room Group

Maths worries and Nursing

Hi, any advice would be so appreciated. I am on my 1st Year of a Psychology degree and I’m really enjoying my part time role working as a support worker for children with Learning disabilities and complex care needs.
I am seriously thinking of changing my course and applying to the Nursing degree for Learning Disabilities at the same uni. It’s a hard decision as I enjoy the course that I am studying and I feel like it’s a big gamble. I’m confident within my role, academic writing and personal qualifications for nursing. My biggest fear is the maths, and that it’s a very weak subject for me. I know the medication test results have to be 100% correct to continue to the following year. Is there anyone that can share their experiences with me? It would be so appreciated.
Many Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by EJD13
Hi, any advice would be so appreciated. I am on my 1st Year of a Psychology degree and I’m really enjoying my part time role working as a support worker for children with Learning disabilities and complex care needs.
I am seriously thinking of changing my course and applying to the Nursing degree for Learning Disabilities at the same uni. It’s a hard decision as I enjoy the course that I am studying and I feel like it’s a big gamble. I’m confident within my role, academic writing and personal qualifications for nursing. My biggest fear is the maths, and that it’s a very weak subject for me. I know the medication test results have to be 100% correct to continue to the following year. Is there anyone that can share their experiences with me? It would be so appreciated.
Many Thanks

Im currently 2nd year on mental health nursing.

The medication "exam" you only have to get 100% in third year, think it was 69% in first year, 80% second then 100% third. But you can have a calculator (theres a calculator on the system) and you can access loads of practice questions.

Im rubbish at maths, and as a mature student iv not studied any maths since 2008 but its not really as bad as it sounds...
Reply 2
Thank you for the response. I went for an open day and spoke with the tutor who explained I should be fine. It’s nice to hear other peoples thoughts though x
Reply 3
Original post by EJD13
Many Thanks

I would recommend reaching out to your university's academic advisors or the nursing department to discuss your concerns. They may be able to provide insight into the specific challenges of the medication test, offer guidance on resources available for math support, or even connect you with other students who have gone through a similar transition. Additionally, consider seeking out tutoring services or online platforms that offer support in math to help strengthen your skills.
[start]Remember that making a career change involves both personal and academic growth. While it may feel like a gamble, your passion for your current role and the confidence you express in your abilities for nursing are strong indicators that you are on the right path. Seeking advice and support from those around you will undoubtedly contribute to making a well-informed decision.[/start]
Hi there,

There’s plenty of help out there and it’s relatively simple maths. For example, if you have a patient who needs 1G of paracetamol, but you have 500mg tablets, how many do you give? (Answer: 2)

Then there’s the more complicated stuff such as volume to administer, but it’s not too difficult. There’s plenty of mock exams on the internet, and you’ll also get support up to that point. I was always a bit wobbly with maths so I went online and did the mock exams, and had guidance from mentors on placement.

An easy way to remember the equation for volume to administer is NHS - Need, have, stock
The amount you need, divided by the amount you have, and then times by the stock that’s available.

If that doesn’t make sense, it will when you do the mock exams and go on placement. It may sound daunting, but it really isn’t and you have plenty of time to scrub up on it!

Nat
Third-year student nurse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending