The Student Room Group

I'm always doing bad in one module but seem to be doing fine in another.

In year one, semester one I did two modules, I did badly in the first module as I got 40/100 marks back on all three essays. I feel the reason for this is this module is the one where all the work is due first. I start panicking thinking I don't have enough time and don't explain stuff thoroughly.

In my second module I've achieved 65 out of 100 for two essays and I achieved 75 out of 100 for the third one. I'm always leaving assignments to the last minute, but although I completed each essay 24 hours before they due in I was perfectly calm and not stressing about time.

I don't know why this is happening and how do I deal with this issue, I'm coming starting three modules in semester two and I just don't want to continue to be like this. Any tips?
Original post by dumb01
In year one, semester one I did two modules, I did badly in the first module as I got 40/100 marks back on all three essays. I feel the reason for this is this module is the one where all the work is due first. I start panicking thinking I don't have enough time and don't explain stuff thoroughly.

In my second module I've achieved 65 out of 100 for two essays and I achieved 75 out of 100 for the third one. I'm always leaving assignments to the last minute, but although I completed each essay 24 hours before they due in I was perfectly calm and not stressing about time.

I don't know why this is happening and how do I deal with this issue, I'm coming starting three modules in semester two and I just don't want to continue to be like this. Any tips?

Hey @dumb01
Some people flourish under pressure and others (like me) stress out at the idea of leaving assignments to the deadline. Leaving it to the last minute gives you the disadvantage of not having time to proof it and also ensure you have time to check the plagiarism checker and it can lead to anxiety.
Some tips:

As soon as you have deadline dates get them in your diary/calendar and also have a reminder wither a week or few days before and have it as your due date. Setting a date earlier means that you give yourself that bit of leeway

Think about assignments as you go through the course and leave yourself markers at points you think will be relevant

always check your course handbooks/assignment description to ensure the work you do matches the assignment and question

Never fear asking a question to your tutor or lecturer.

Find somewhere to do your assignment that works for you - whether that is at home/accommodation, uni, library.. Be productive and accountable with your time.

Use feedback to build on your future assignments - content may differ but you will build up your referencing, academic writing and practice the more you do it

Best of luck with your second semester. Also well done on your essays so far - there is a jump to get to uni and so don't be disheartened if things are lower than expected just do your best, attend lecturers and enjoy your time at uni!

Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending