The Student Room Group

Student Finance Eligibility

Hi,

I am starting a bachelors degree online in Psychology at the University of Essex in march. I have one english and one german passport and have lived in england for 15 years. I was sort of back and forth between whether I wanted to study biology or psychology, but decided on biology in germany due to it being cheaper. I am temporarily staying in germany during the term times, studying at a german university. However, I still feel really passionate about psychology so I thought I could do a psychology degree part time online additionally in the UK, and have also been accepted (I am aware of the high workload but am so far doing well at uni and am passionate about both subjects, double enrollment is okay with both of the universities, I have checked)

So far I have been here for a year to do my german language course and start my degree, and am in the UK during my semster breaks. I have three years left of my degree before I return back to england.

I have applied for UK student finance to cover the costs of the UK psychology degree online but am not sure about my eligibility as I will be in the UK for the start of my course, but then be spending a significant amount of the duration of my studies in germany. I have submitted the application, but was not sure how to answer some of the questions, so I just wanted to double check my eligibility on here if it was a bit of a grey area (For example, I am still eligible for UK health insurance from the NHS while I am here through a GHIC, as the NHS respect is as a "temporary stay" abroad)

Thank you!! Helena
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi lskjlkfsdf,

As long as you don't hold an equal level qualification and have no other previous study in higher education you should be eligible. If you are in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of your course, and can show that living in Germany was temporary only, then you may be eligible for support.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending