The Student Room Group

Germany: Marches against the far right draw over 200,000

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barbu
As I said, they're "français de souche" and can't have their citizenship revoked, unless they've committed particular crimes against France.

I haven't denied that many hold appalling opinions.

If we want to live in a cohesive, running society we can't accept those that would derail it.

We go on and on and on about accepting others and who they are, yet we seem to invite the very people who don't accept.

Yeah but that’s not really answering the question on whether people who are native to the country should have there citizenship revoked or be deported (even if they can’t in practice) if they don’t (fully) agree with the country’s values. I for example partially disagree with one of France’s arguably core values (I don’t agree with the ban on religious clothing in state schools and government and I refuse to support that for the most part despite me agreeing with la laïcité in other aspects), if it was allowed, should the state have the right to revoke my citizenship?

I think that immigration/diversity isn’t always a good metric to determine that (I mean look at the amount of troublemakers and people who want to derail society who aren’t immigrants).

I’m hoping that these kinds of parties don’t gain ground in France (a country where I could see this happening) or England.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Do you mean TSR emojis?

No.
The old smileys where you had a box full of them to choose from.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 22
I think the article is more about segregating disabled people from able-bodied people in schools.

I personally think that inclusivity and tolerance should be taught in schools but I wasn’t taught many of the stuff that they teach nowadays either until sixth form.

Indeed it was, however it attempted to link it to a AfD policy to change teaching policy in a subject area. Indeed, the vast majority of states do not teach inclusivity and don't enforce segretation. It's poor click bait journalism on a par with the likes of the Daily Mail.

I have never been sold on it, certainly not in its current framing which amounts to liberal indoctrination.
Reply 23
I mean even if it was possible legally, how do you do it, what metrics (besides ability to speak German maybe) do you use to determine whether someone is “unassimilated” or not? As in named consistent metrics that can be use on anyone and everyone that hopefully won’t be based on ethnic prejudice.

I personally don’t agree (if we’re talking about asylum seekers).

Yeah. I suspect that they've not really properly thought of the how in this particular case.

While it's biggest impact is on the likes of asylum seekers, it would also be a way that they could remove large numbers of lower paid employees for the numbers. In these cases you don't actually need a policy to remove them, you just need to tell asylum seekers and those on short term work visas and students that you won't permit their residency to be extended. Hence they have to leave.

It's cutting avacado with a sledgehammer but i see some points to it (though i favour increasing the size of the labour force, my primary annoyance is multiculturalism).
Original post by Rakas21
Yeah. I suspect that they've not really properly thought of the how in this particular case.

While it's biggest impact is on the likes of asylum seekers, it would also be a way that they could remove large numbers of lower paid employees for the numbers. In these cases you don't actually need a policy to remove them, you just need to tell asylum seekers and those on short term work visas and students that you won't permit their residency to be extended. Hence they have to leave.

It's cutting avacado with a sledgehammer but i see some points to it (though i favour increasing the size of the labour force, my primary annoyance is multiculturalism).

So pretty much what the UK government wanted to do but they’ve had to backtrack on that. Also the native population or those born and raised there might not want to do those low labour jobs in the first place (we’ve seen this happen in the UK).

If personally leaned to embrace multiculturalism even if I don’t care about it’s existence and I oppose things like diversity quota as I simply believe that they are a publicity stunt where I’m being used a pawn to make the company look good as opposed to them actually caring about me.

This is the 21st century, not the 18th or 19th of arguably 20th one. Diversity and multiculturalism is bound to exist you are going to get people from different cultures living together (e.g someone from Poland and someone else from Jamaica living in the same UK town and speaking their home languages, someone from Ukraine and someone from England living in the same area, mixed race people exist, people with dual nationality exist, people in a relationship with someone who isn’t from their country/culture exist). We need to just deal with it (without people from both sides being obsessed about it).
Original post by TheStupidMoon
No.
The old smileys where you had a box full of them to choose from.

So TSR emojis then…

IMG_1509.jpeg
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Gazpacho.
My comments were aimed entirely at those with far right sympathisies. If you chose to go full main character syndrome and assume was aimed at yourself, so be it.

People with far right views rarely self-identify as far-right.

I’ve noticed this as well (I seem to notice it more on the right side of the political spectrum than the left side).
Original post by Gazpacho.
My comments were aimed entirely at those with far right sympathisies. If you chose to go full main character syndrome and assume was aimed at yourself, so be it.

People with far right views rarely self-identify as far-right.

Well for what it’s worth I don’t identify as far right, not that it would stop mental ideologues from calling me one, but there were 3 responses, all three were similar in content and I clearly said "us three" meaning it doesn’t matter which one you were referring too. So in response to your comment I can only ask….you not read good? Lol.
I’ve noticed this as well (I seem to notice it more on the right side of the political spectrum than the left side).

I just took apart the first part of his comment so i suggest you read my response to him for that one. However ill assume you weren’t trying to join in his utterly failed attempt at being clever and address the other point.

To that second point it may have something to do with that fact that what people consider "far right" today is laughable when compared to the actual far right of the spectrum. Added to that anything which doesn’t follow the line of the “left” is automatically vilified even if the content of their argument is perfectly sound. Together it means most people who believe any “right wing” ideas keep it to themselves for fear of being persecuted, which if nothing else highlights how “fascist” those claiming to be on the left actually are but then again as the popular saying goes “the fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists”.
Original post by Djtoodles
I just took apart the first part of his comment so i suggest you read my response to him for that one. However ill assume you weren’t trying to join in his utterly failed attempt at being clever and address the other point.

To that second point it may have something to do with that fact that what people consider "far right" today is laughable when compared to the actual far right of the spectrum. Added to that anything which doesn’t follow the line of the “left” is automatically vilified even if the content of their argument is perfectly sound. Together it means most people who believe any “right wing” ideas keep it to themselves for fear of being persecuted, which if nothing else highlights how “fascist” those claiming to be on the left actually are but then again as the popular saying goes “the fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists”.

[Citation Needed]

People feel intimidated when sharing a view that is contrary to the views that the people around them have. This exists everywhere, what makes you think it applies to right wing views more than left wing views?

Also, give some examples instead of making vague generalisations.
(edited 3 months ago)

Well I personally will not dismiss an argument simply because it doesn’t follow the line of the left. There’s plenty of left wing arguments that I don’t agree with or certain topics (despite being left wing and I won’t name the topics) where I agree more with the right or hard right take on the topic in comparison to the left of hard left take on the topic.

There might be times where someone will assume that the “left do this” or that “the left believe in that” and then I might step in and say no, I’m left wing but I don’t believe in this nonsense or what that left has to say about it, but that’s as far as I’ll go. I won’t simply state that a belief is right or far right simply because it doesn’t follow my left wing line of thinking.

I’ve seen a lot more hard left wing people come out and say “yeah I’m far-left, yeah I’m communist (not something to be proud of btw)” compared to right wing counterparts/equivalents (admitting that they are far-right and/or fascist) but this is just anecdotal obviously not factual.
Original post by SHallowvale
[Citation Needed]

People feel intimidated when sharing a view that is contrary to the views that the people around them have. This exists everywhere, what makes you think it applies to right wing views more than left wing views?

Also, give some examples instead of making vague generalisations.

Well ok, these are just what I’ve experienced.
I’ve been called a Nazi and racist simply because I want to reduce illegal immigration.
I’ve been called racist because I have views which are culturally conservative.

I’ve been called trans-phobic simply because I don’t believe you can change your "gender" on a whim, or that gender is distinct from sex.

And I can list a lot more.

Now I don’t care what a bunch of morons call me in an attempt to discredit me because they don’t have a good counter argument. I really don’t. But I understand that some people will care about that kind of thing. You have got to be blind to not notice how much more vilified the right wing is compared to the left, you only need to count how many times people have been fired or "cancelled" because they don’t toe the lefty line. Yeah, they eventually go to court and get a settlement because they had their rights violated but the fact the “left” is able to apply such pressure in the first place highlights the problem perfectly. No one has ever been fired for openly admitting they are a communist.
Well ok, these are just what I’ve experienced.
I’ve been called a Nazi and racist simply because I want to reduce illegal immigration.
I’ve been called racist because I have views which are culturally conservative.

I’ve been called trans-phobic simply because I don’t believe you can change your "gender" on a whim, or that gender is distinct from sex.

And I can list a lot more.

Now I don’t care what a bunch of morons call me in an attempt to discredit me because they don’t have a good counter argument. I really don’t. But I understand that some people will care about that kind of thing. You have got to be blind to not notice how much more vilified the right wing is compared to the left, you only need to count how many times people have been fired or "cancelled" because they don’t toe the lefty line. Yeah, they eventually go to court and get a settlement because they had their rights violated but the fact the “left” is able to apply such pressure in the first place highlights the problem perfectly. No one has ever been fired for openly admitting they are a communist.

I have been called a "traitor" for supporting EU membership and a "communist" for suporting public services. I have even been accused of supporting "white genocide" because I think immigration is good and racism is bad.

Your experiences are not unique, all sides of the political spectrum are met with attacks from extremists on opposite end.

Nobody has ever been fired for being a communist? Look up McCarthyism.
:ditto: I’ve been called a coloniser for explaining Chicken Tikka Masala is a British dish and not an Indian one.

I’ve been called a Zionist because I said that people should be allowed to go to Starbucks/work at Starbucks in peace despite what’s going on right now.

I’ve probably been called a communist/fascist at some point as well.

Obviously this type of name calling isn’t justified but it’s not people from one side of the political spectrum who face this type of name calling.

It’s probably fellow left wing people calling me these kinds of names (on other platforms, not TSR) but that’s besides the point.
Original post by SHallowvale
I have been called a "traitor" for supporting EU membership and a "communist" for suporting public services. I have even been accused of supporting "white genocide" because I think immigration is good and racism is bad.

Your experiences are not unique, all sides of the political spectrum are met with attacks from extremists on opposite end.

Nobody has ever been fired for being a communist? Look up McCarthyism.

Fair, the ravings of ******s doesnt mean much but can you find an example of those where someone a job for it? Been arrested? Banned from social media? etc etc. Because for all the things i mentioned that i have experienced you can find someone who has been subject to such punishment.

Well you only had to go back to the 60s to find an example lol. How about anything current?

You cannot seriously be willing to sit at your PC and type with a straight face the "right wing" is not more demonised today than the “left”. To do so is to try and feign balance in a situation which is anything but balanced.
Fair, the ravings of ******s doesnt mean much but can you find an example of those where someone a job for it? Been arrested? Banned from social media? etc etc. Because for all the things i mentioned that i have experienced you can find someone who has been subject to such punishment.

Well you only had to go back to the 60s to find an example lol. How about anything current?

You cannot seriously be willing to sit at your PC and type with a straight face the "right wing" is not more demonised today than the “left”. To do so is to try and feign balance in a situation which is anything but balanced.

How many of the cases of people losing their jobs, being arrested, getting banned from social media, etc, are actually because they didn't 'toe the lefty line'? And on what, exactly? Being anti-tax, anti-welfare, pro-privatisation? Or maybe anti-immigration, anti-LGBT, anti-liberalism? You'll find mountains of people who hold those views, publicly, without losing their jobs, etc. Give some examples.

Almost all the cases I see, if not all the cases, are just people insufferable ***holes. Take Laurence Fox as an example. I am sure he thinks his 'cancelling' has been because of his political views and not because of his racist and sexist remarks. Or are sexism and racism now right wing positions?
Reply 36
What does far right even mean? It's just a buzzword used by media hacks to mean anything from the extreme to the completely mundane.

Either way, mass immigration hasn't really worked out well for Germany so if they're finally taking steps to fix the problem then good on them, I hope the rest of Europe follows suit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending