The Student Room Group

Just decided to apply to Cambridge

I got my A level grades and three A stars so thinking I may have a shot at Cambridge. However before now was thinking of a completely different course unrelated to what I want to study there so have no supracurriculars or much reading even (though I can do some now). HSPS is what I’m interested in but I know that’s one of the most popular degrees. I’m doing a year long pre degree course in my other interest this year. Am I too late to consider Cambridge? Does having grades in hand give me any advantage - would I find out any earlier if successful?
Congratulations on your grades!! I was in the same position last year and decided to have a shot at Cambridge because of my grades. When I visited Cambridge for the open day, I was told that having your grades already wouldn’t give you an advantage, but it would make it easier for the admissions staff (?). I received a conditional offer on January 25th the same as everyone else, but after completing the financial forms and other documents, I got my offer confirmed in May. I do know people that got unconditional offers straight away, I think it’s just dependent on the college.
It's not too late, you have heaps of time between now & when Oxbridge applications are due to brush up on further reading :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks. Any tips on colleges? I like the look of Newnham as it’s all women’s and it’s connections to the suffragettes!
Original post by Anonymous
I got my A level grades and three A stars so thinking I may have a shot at Cambridge. However before now was thinking of a completely different course unrelated to what I want to study there so have no supracurriculars or much reading even (though I can do some now). HSPS is what I’m interested in but I know that’s one of the most popular degrees. I’m doing a year long pre degree course in my other interest this year. Am I too late to consider Cambridge? Does having grades in hand give me any advantage - would I find out any earlier if successful?

Extra note you'd find out the same time as anyone else - January 25th I believe it was this year. I was in the same situation as you except I got A*A*A at A level and still managed to successfully apply. The only difference was the fact once you have an offer it doesn't require the grades so you can accept it before everyone else, who have to wait till A level results day. As for colleges, they're all great imo, just some may be a little further from the city centre. Newnham is about 10 mins from the HSPS department I'm pretty sure!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending