The Student Room Group

Student Finance accepted then changed to ineligible after i'm 2 months into my course

I am so stressed right now, I was asked to fill out a change of circumstances form, I was accepted for finance so i proceeded my studies on this basis, i then received 50% of my maintenance loan which means ive had to spend on a credit card (causing more stress), and then told it was actually a pn1 form not a change of circumstances form that they want me to fill out s i did this and now my online account says i am not eligible. I am already 2 months into my course and cant understand how i was accepted and now their saying im not? My account despite saying ineligible also said action required and that i had to upload a passport which i had already done but have done again as requested.... i am so depressed and anxious and its effecting my ability to study, what should i do?
Reply 1
Original post by Jannina
I am so stressed right now, I was asked to fill out a change of circumstances form, I was accepted for finance so i proceeded my studies on this basis, i then received 50% of my maintenance loan which means ive had to spend on a credit card (causing more stress), and then told it was actually a pn1 form not a change of circumstances form that they want me to fill out s i did this and now my online account says i am not eligible. I am already 2 months into my course and cant understand how i was accepted and now their saying im not? My account despite saying ineligible also said action required and that i had to upload a passport which i had already done but have done again as requested.... i am so depressed and anxious and its effecting my ability to study, what should i do?

EDIT: I should also mention i am independent/ 32 years old/ this is my second degree but it is classed as allied health and therefore student funding should be available for it for me/ I am a UK national , and i did just over 1 month on a nursing degree course (May 23 intake) before asking student finance how to swap my funding over to physiotherapy (which is when they told me to fill out the change of circumstances form and to which they subsequently accepted my application to swap over unis and courses). I then enrolled on my new physio course in the knowledge i had funding in place. at no point have they contacted me to discuss any troubles with my account and when i ask why i was paid just 50% of my maintenance they are unable to answer my question.
Reply 2
Original post by Jannina
EDIT: I should also mention i am independent/ 32 years old/ this is my second degree but it is classed as allied health and therefore student funding should be available for it for me/ I am a UK national , and i did just over 1 month on a nursing degree course (May 23 intake) before asking student finance how to swap my funding over to physiotherapy (which is when they told me to fill out the change of circumstances form and to which they subsequently accepted my application to swap over unis and courses). I then enrolled on my new physio course in the knowledge i had funding in place. at no point have they contacted me to discuss any troubles with my account and when i ask why i was paid just 50% of my maintenance they are unable to answer my question.

Edit Edit: my physio intake was September 23 so technically a separate academic year therefore any payments made for the May 23 course should not effect my eligibility for a new academic year (or so SFE told me over summer when i organised this all).
Original post by Jannina
Edit Edit: my physio intake was September 23 so technically a separate academic year therefore any payments made for the May 23 course should not effect my eligibility for a new academic year (or so SFE told me over summer when i organised this all).

Hi Jannina,

We would advise to contact us so we can check this for you. You can use the live chat option online in your account, or call us on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Jannina,

We would advise to contact us so we can check this for you. You can use the live chat option online in your account, or call us on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks,
Claire

Thanks Clair

I have used the online chat function which often either has not worked or just put me on some sort of AI loop/ or not been available.

I have been calling in for months now and each time am told my if is being checked….application being assessed -and so on… each phone call I confirm the duration for these processes but safely, time and time again when the day it is supposed to be rectified comes around my account is still incorrectly showing ineligible and when I call back up the person on the phone just says the same things to me and puts me on a further duration.

I appreciate this is a huge organisation with many students to work through however, having originally organised my funding back in May 2023 then chased all over summer to ensure it was in place for a stress free start to my course i can’t help but feel totally isolated, unheard and forgotten about by an organisation who is supposed to support people like me.

At this point I am having serious anxiety over this matter, all at a time when my main focus should be on my very hard topic.

I have this time been told to call back next Wednesday and will but I am so sad and lacking hope that anything will have been sorted.

Without rectification I will be forced to leave my course.
Original post by Jannina
Thanks Clair

I have used the online chat function which often either has not worked or just put me on some sort of AI loop/ or not been available.

I have been calling in for months now and each time am told my if is being checked….application being assessed -and so on… each phone call I confirm the duration for these processes but safely, time and time again when the day it is supposed to be rectified comes around my account is still incorrectly showing ineligible and when I call back up the person on the phone just says the same things to me and puts me on a further duration.

I appreciate this is a huge organisation with many students to work through however, having originally organised my funding back in May 2023 then chased all over summer to ensure it was in place for a stress free start to my course i can’t help but feel totally isolated, unheard and forgotten about by an organisation who is supposed to support people like me.

At this point I am having serious anxiety over this matter, all at a time when my main focus should be on my very hard topic.

I have this time been told to call back next Wednesday and will but I am so sad and lacking hope that anything will have been sorted.

Without rectification I will be forced to leave my course.

Hi Jannina,

Our timescales are estimates only so can change daily depending on how busy we are. If the application isn't updated when you were advised, and you feel its been going on too long, you can ask to speak to a manager who can look into this. We don't have account access over social media for security, so we can't check this for you.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Jannina,

Our timescales are estimates only so can change daily depending on how busy we are. If the application isn't updated when you were advised, and you feel its been going on too long, you can ask to speak to a manager who can look into this. We don't have account access over social media for security, so we can't check this for you.

Thanks,
Claire

Thanks for this information Claire,

I will request this on Wednesday if they haven't been able to get to my case yet. I wasn't aware there was any managers I could request to speak with so this is very useful to know As this is now sadly at a critical point for me.

I will post back once I have an update.

Many thanks for your help.
Original post by Jannina
Thanks for this information Claire,

I will request this on Wednesday if they haven't been able to get to my case yet. I wasn't aware there was any managers I could request to speak with so this is very useful to know As this is now sadly at a critical point for me.

I will post back once I have an update.

Many thanks for your help.

You're welcome! Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending