The Student Room Group

relationship and parents advice please

me and my boyfriend have been together for just over a year and are both students and still live at home. over the summer my boyfriend stayed over the majority of the time at my house- around 4 times a week. it really upset my dad so they ask to limit this to once or twice a week so therefore i limited the amount he stays to around 1 or twice a week and my parents have asked me to ask them prior to him coming over if its ok with them, which is completely understandable and so therefore i have adjusted to that.
recently they have started to become upset with him coming over to visit ince or twice a week too. they make comments as to why i cant and dont ever stay over there (which i do) and make it difficult to ask as i feel as if i am forcing them to let him visit. when hes here it feels like hes not very welcome and have to make him leave when my parents say which upsets me and and makes me feel awkward because whenever i am there he or his family never sets a time limit for how long i should stay there or when i need to leave and have had me over for longer periods frequently and make me feel very welcome. we dont get to see eachother cery often now due to uni so only have weekends and with my parents setting these limits it makes it difficult to see eachother. my parents have always said they really like my boyfriend but the way they act around him makes me think different along with the fact that whenever i ask if its ok for him to visit or stay over they always say something and complain about it, for example the other day they werent too keen the idea of him coming over because my dad gets uncomfortable when he cuddles me on the sofa. i have nit told my boyfriend any if this because i find it a bit embarassing.
it makes me sad because i prefer staying at hime and having him here rather than going over to his and feel like its never ok for me to do that. my parents have complained to me that when hes here we stay mostly in my room so we started sitting downstairs more with them all and when we started doing that they said that we were too much downstairs- i feel like theres no 50/50 solution or compromise.
i completely understand that they dont want him over 4 nights a week and that it was too much and that if we wanted to spend more time together we have to split it more equally between his and my house but now it feels hard to even spend 1-2 days/ nights together a week at mine and my boyfriends beginning to get confused as to why we can never stay over at mine.
am i being silly being upset? any ideas of how i can talk to my boyfriend about this and not upset him as ive been a bit too embarassed to mention it yet?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
me and my boyfriend have been together for just over a year and are both students and still live at home. over the summer my boyfriend stayed over the majority of the time at my house- around 4 times a week. it really upset my dad so they ask to limit this to once or twice a week so therefore i limited the amount he stays to around 1 or twice a week and my parents have asked me to ask them prior to him coming over if its ok with them, which is completely understandable and so therefore i have adjusted to that.
recently they have started to become upset with him coming over to visit ince or twice a week too. they make comments as to why i cant and dont ever stay over there (which i do) and make it difficult to ask as i feel as if i am forcing them to let him visit. when hes here it feels like hes not very welcome and have to make him leave when my parents say which upsets me and and makes me feel awkward because whenever i am there he or his family never sets a time limit for how long i should stay there or when i need to leave and have had me over for longer periods frequently and make me feel very welcome. we dont get to see eachother cery often now due to uni so only have weekends and with my parents setting these limits it makes it difficult to see eachother. my parents have always said they really like my boyfriend but the way they act around him makes me think different along with the fact that whenever i ask if its ok for him to visit or stay over they always say something and complain about it, for example the other day they werent too keen the idea of him coming over because my dad gets uncomfortable when he cuddles me on the sofa. i have nit told my boyfriend any if this because i find it a bit embarassing.
it makes me sad because i prefer staying at hime and having him here rather than going over to his and feel like its never ok for me to do that. my parents have complained to me that when hes here we stay mostly in my room so we started sitting downstairs more with them all and when we started doing that they said that we were too much downstairs- i feel like theres no 50/50 solution or compromise.
i completely understand that they dont want him over 4 nights a week and that it was too much and that if we wanted to spend more time together we have to split it more equally between his and my house but now it feels hard to even spend 1-2 days/ nights together a week at mine and my boyfriends beginning to get confused as to why we can never stay over at mine.
am i being silly being upset? any ideas of how i can talk to my boyfriend about this and not upset him as ive been a bit too embarassed to mention it yet?

While you're living at home you haven't got much choice but to follow their rules. Is there a reason why you haven't moved out, because that would solve a lot of your problems and allow you the freedom of an independent adult. Alternatively, why not spend more time at your boyfriends house.

Some parents welcome a their children's partners virtually moving in but many are not happy with it for a whole host of reasons, including the house being too small, lack of privacy, dislike of the boy/girlfriend or simply being uncomfortable. For every father who has no issue with his daughters boyfriend cuddling/groping her on the sofa of the family living room there will be a lot more who don't like it.
Reply 2
Original post by marple
While you're living at home you haven't got much choice but to follow their rules. Is there a reason why you haven't moved out, because that would solve a lot of your problems and allow you the freedom of an independent adult. Alternatively, why not spend more time at your boyfriends house.

Some parents welcome a their children's partners virtually moving in but many are not happy with it for a whole host of reasons, including the house being too small, lack of privacy, dislike of the boy/girlfriend or simply being uncomfortable. For every father who has no issue with his daughters boyfriend cuddling/groping her on the sofa of the family living room there will be a lot more who don't like it.

hello!
as mentioned im at uni so ive not been able to move out- my loan isnt enough and due to the amount of contact hours i have at uni i can only work so much alongside my studies.
they did welcome him in the beginning- they seem to have completely switched if that makes sense.
and again as mentioned we do spend majority of our time together at his but he does wonder why we cant spend time at mine anymore hence the main question asking how i should talk to him about this.
your groping comment is quite inappropriate? putting an arm around someone is definitely different and far from groping?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

your groping comment is quite inappropriate? putting an arm around someone is definitely different and far from groping?

Fair enough - you said cuddling on the sofa and I assumed, but even that would make many dads uncomfortable. If this is the first relationship you've had where your boyfriend stays overnight it is probably just a matter of your parents getting used to it. With him staying so much over the summer it might all have been too much too soon for your parents.

You are in an adult relationship which is quite natural and appropriate as I'm sure your parents would agree, but to have it conducted in the family home is something that not all parents find easy to adjust to. Could you consider applying for a living away from home student loan next year? Then you would have the independence to conduct your relationship as you choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending