The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing Interview

Hi,

I have an interview for Bradford, Huddersfield & Derby to study mental health nursing.

Has anyone had an interview here recently and able to tell me what to expect, please?

Thank you
Reply 1
Hi! I did mine last year and usually they have a website for the uni and help you to prepare for the typical questions to expect for the interview, they’re usually online (zoom, teams) and I prepared by writing responses for them and I went over it a few times.

It’s important to also note- they’re humans. So they’re going to want to have a general conversation with you too, so try to get to know them too. They will get a feel for your personality and take care to show positive body language too! (I took drama and psychology so it helped to know what it is, little things like maintaining eye contact and slow nodding to show you’re engaged and not just wanting to get through it and helps to not show you’re nervous, as rapid nodding gives the impression you’re nervous).

I did mine for a different uni and they were so nice! I got to know them first before we got through the actual questions, which were things like: what made you want to be a mental health nurse, what do you know already about mental health nursing, some issues/ challenges faced in mhn and what you think makes a good mhn.

It was around 30 mins I think, but I would recommend using the websites and yt- how to prepare for mhn (mental health nursing) interviews in uni.

I prepared pretty early but it was worth it. They can tell those who prepared last minute and those who didn’t, so it’s a good thing you’re thinking about how to prepare now.

I hope it all goes well and feel free to ask any other questions!
Reply 2
Original post by Tania_122
Hi! I did mine last year and usually they have a website for the uni and help you to prepare for the typical questions to expect for the interview, they’re usually online (zoom, teams) and I prepared by writing responses for them and I went over it a few times.

It’s important to also note- they’re humans. So they’re going to want to have a general conversation with you too, so try to get to know them too. They will get a feel for your personality and take care to show positive body language too! (I took drama and psychology so it helped to know what it is, little things like maintaining eye contact and slow nodding to show you’re engaged and not just wanting to get through it and helps to not show you’re nervous, as rapid nodding gives the impression you’re nervous).

I did mine for a different uni and they were so nice! I got to know them first before we got through the actual questions, which were things like: what made you want to be a mental health nurse, what do you know already about mental health nursing, some issues/ challenges faced in mhn and what you think makes a good mhn.

It was around 30 mins I think, but I would recommend using the websites and yt- how to prepare for mhn (mental health nursing) interviews in uni.

I prepared pretty early but it was worth it. They can tell those who prepared last minute and those who didn’t, so it’s a good thing you’re thinking about how to prepare now.

Thank you so much for your reply! I have been preparing the same way as you too as they’ve given me some interview questions to answer.

Are you allowed to bring your notes into the interview as a guide or is it best to memorise them?
Reply 3
Original post by CourtJames97

Thank you so much for your reply! I have been preparing the same way as you too as they’ve given me some interview questions to answer.

Are you allowed to bring your notes into the interview as a guide or is it best to memorise them?

Well, luckily since it was zoom I could refer to them cuz I had a list of questions so I could ask them since I was using my laptop. But, try your best to memorise it so it comes off as natural and like you have a genuine interest or else it can come off as scripted. It will come off a lot better and sound a lot more conversational.
So I would recommend memorising it and keeping some questions on the side to ask at the end. Also, feel free to adjust your notes along the way as you prepare to make it sound like the way you speak so it sounds more natural and easier when it comes to going over it!
I would suggest going over them every now and then bc most likely you’ll find that you may want to change something or have a better way of putting it.
Reply 4

Well, luckily since it was zoom I could refer to them cuz I had a list of questions so I could ask them since I was using my laptop. But, try your best to memorise it so it comes off as natural and like you have a genuine interest or else it can come off as scripted. It will come off a lot better and sound a lot more conversational.
So I would recommend memorising it and keeping some questions on the side to ask at the end. Also, feel free to adjust your notes along the way as you prepare to make it sound like the way you speak so it sounds more natural and easier when it comes to going over it!
I would suggest going over them every now and then bc most likely you’ll find that you may want to change something or have a better way of putting it.
Thanks so much 😊
Reply 5
Not a problem!

Good luck with your interview and feel free to ask any other questions that come to mind.

Have a great day! ☺️
Reply 6
Original post by CJNurse
Hi,
I have an interview for Bradford, Huddersfield & Derby to study mental health nursing.
Has anyone had an interview here recently and able to tell me what to expect, please?
Thank you

Hi hope you don't mind me replying! Hope you got on the course at the Uni you wanted!! I have an interview for Huddersfield next week, I don't suppose you can remember the kind of questions they asked?! I'm trying to be as prepared as possible 💫 thank you x
Reply 7
Original post by Katie.32
Hi hope you don't mind me replying! Hope you got on the course at the Uni you wanted!! I have an interview for Huddersfield next week, I don't suppose you can remember the kind of questions they asked?! I'm trying to be as prepared as possible 💫 thank you x

Hi! Yes I accepted an unconditional offer for Huddersfield Uni 😊. They gave me a PowerPoint for preparing for the interview, there was 6 questions on there that I had to prepare for and then 3 questions that they asked that’s not on the list. It’s basically about why you want to be a MH nurse and your understanding of the role etc. definitely read up on the 6 C’s of nursing and try talk about that as much as you can and relate it to as much of your life experience as you can! Good luck 😊 x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending