The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship Advice

I've been in my business admin apprenticeship since July and i'm still learning about different things aka reverse cameras and parking sensors for vehicles etc.

So on tuesday one of the installers went out to the job and it was wrong the customer wanted a dual reverse camera not a single. However, when i've gone and looked through every bit of conversation notes theres no mention of them saying they wanted a dual camera.

It's a small company so the office is made up of myself, my manager and the MD, with 4 installers. My manager was off due to being ill so it was just me and the MD in the office that day. I mentioned it to the MD when the installer called. After speaking to the installer he called me into his office. Said it was embarrassing to the customer that I made this mistake. The customer was lovely about it and hasn't complained and was still willing to pay for the work done on the day. We've ordered a new camera and managed to book him back with the new kit (booked for 6 days later as it takes a few days for the kit to come in.

However, the MD yesterday would not let me answer any sale enquiry emails or phones call. So I asked if I could do my coursework instead as on Thursday that's a day that gets set aside for any coursework I need to do. He said I wasn't allowed as there was only me and himself in (my manager was feeling better but working from home and she had all my normal tasks on top of her own) and instead I just cleaned as he asked me to hoover etc. Then today my manager was back in the office but she still had all my tasks and i'm not allowed to do anything. Going forward starting from yesterday any job sheets I make have to be signed by someone.

Now I'm worried i'm going to be sacked for a mistake when i'm still learning. Even more so by the fact i'm not allowed to do anything and feel like i'm being punished.

Can anyone suggest what might happen and what I could do.
Reply 1
Original post by atybee
I've been in my business admin apprenticeship since July and i'm still learning about different things aka reverse cameras and parking sensors for vehicles etc.

So on tuesday one of the installers went out to the job and it was wrong the customer wanted a dual reverse camera not a single. However, when i've gone and looked through every bit of conversation notes theres no mention of them saying they wanted a dual camera.

It's a small company so the office is made up of myself, my manager and the MD, with 4 installers. My manager was off due to being ill so it was just me and the MD in the office that day. I mentioned it to the MD when the installer called. After speaking to the installer he called me into his office. Said it was embarrassing to the customer that I made this mistake. The customer was lovely about it and hasn't complained and was still willing to pay for the work done on the day. We've ordered a new camera and managed to book him back with the new kit (booked for 6 days later as it takes a few days for the kit to come in.

However, the MD yesterday would not let me answer any sale enquiry emails or phones call. So I asked if I could do my coursework instead as on Thursday that's a day that gets set aside for any coursework I need to do. He said I wasn't allowed as there was only me and himself in (my manager was feeling better but working from home and she had all my normal tasks on top of her own) and instead I just cleaned as he asked me to hoover etc. Then today my manager was back in the office but she still had all my tasks and i'm not allowed to do anything. Going forward starting from yesterday any job sheets I make have to be signed by someone.

Now I'm worried i'm going to be sacked for a mistake when i'm still learning. Even more so by the fact i'm not allowed to do anything and feel like i'm being punished.

Can anyone suggest what might happen and what I could do.

I would say the first thing to do is to strip yourself of any ego whatsoever. Mistakes happen, and problems are why people have jobs. Embrace the learner lifestyle. You’re there to learn, not to work.

Saying that, your employer should also embrace this. Your performance is a function of their work processes and their ability to develop and train people.

Don’t just take responsibility for your mistake, take responsibility for your learning. Come up with a sound plan to improve (yourself and/or processes), learn, and pitch it to your manager. Show you’re proactive in taking your development into your own hands. Put together a plan to get you back on track to being trusted with responsibility.

(I did a level 2, 3, 4, and 6 apprenticeship)
I also never got time during work hours to do coursework unless it was my formal study leave to attend college/uni.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending