The Student Room Group

Going to uni at 21?

Dropped out of university because I was enjoying the course. After spending 2 years in a job, I'm thinking of returning to university studying something different but I'll be 21. Will I be able to fit in properly and will I be classed as a mature student?
Dropped out of university because I wasn't enjoying the course. After spending 2 years in a job, I'm thinking of returning to university studying something different but I'll be 21. Will I be able to fit in properly and will I be classed as a mature student?
Original post by Anonymous
Dropped out of university because I was enjoying the course. After spending 2 years in a job, I'm thinking of returning to university studying something different but I'll be 21. Will I be able to fit in properly and will I be classed as a mature student?

Hiya,

I think at 21 you become classed as a mature student but please don’t let this put you off! It’s never too late to start studying and find what you’re passionate about. Everyone’s journey in life is different!

I wanted to start studying again for years and put it off and off as I worried about my age. After years of putting it off I eventually went for it. Now going into my third year at 32 and I don’t regret it a bit. Only regret putting it off for so long!

uni is full of people of all ages! Go for it if you’ve found what you really want to do!!

Good luck :smile:

sophie (ARU)
Hi there ,
As a fellow mature student I am so passionate about this conversation . I am 25 and just completed my first year and I am moving onto my second year. When I first started it felt embarrassing to have to admit to people that I was 5/6 years older than most of them but then I started meeting people my age and older. You will soon realise that university is filled with a plethora of different people from various backgrounds and age groups and no one cares.

It is amazing that you have decided to go back to school , going back was singlehandedly one of the best decisions I have ever made and the experiences I have had in and out of class have been phenomenal. You won't get along with everyone but you will find your people and you will fit in just fine with them , of which some may even be older than you.
I hope this helps 😁

Cece
Energy Engineering
De Montfort University
(edited 7 months ago)

Hi there, it's nice to hear that you have decided to return to University.

Being a mature student does not put you at a disadvantage. :smile: There are many students that decide to go to University after having worked for several years, so many will be in the same position as you.

There are many chances to meet different people at University, be this your accommodation, your course and lessons. I would recommend checking out your University's welcome/freshers fair for societies that interest you. Please do not be put off University just for being a mature student.

Good luck with starting University! :smile:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

I went at 22 last year for First Year Undergraduate. You'll find the work more simple so it can = better grades. Similarly you might be more interested in taking advantage of what your university has to offer. I take a few extra credit modules this year for example.
You'll fit in maybe, there is no shortage of nights out with 18/19/20s. Consider that if YOU are making the commitment to study now you'll want to do that, instead of partying. I can say that younger adults are content with drinking Wednesday, Friday , Saturday and calling you up for Sunday drinks too, which my body decided is two nights too many :biggrin:.

As an older student I was more focused of getting to lecture at 0900 than most younger adults. Personality matters here, and life experience. I've worked sucky jobs mon-sat , university graduation should mean I won't have to return to that and dedication and taking university seriously is natural for me.

In totality i figured 22 was not a huge leap from 19. However, it is. Some young adults get smashed three nights a week, i find it boring now. The oppotunity at University is great, and this year i'll maximise that. Being older i have a sense of if i pay 9k a year i'm entitled to every inch of university. Young adults won't necessarily had to work a job paying £21'500 pa and how difficult it is to earn that. Money is hard to earn.

I'll be happy to answer any questions on this topic.

Hey there!

i hope 21 isn't classed as a mature student these days! haha

I remember in my first year I found my course friendship group and we got on really well, went out together all the time and saw each other frequently outside of lectures. I only found out towards the end of the year that one of them was 21 and two of them were 22. I literally had no idea that I was the youngest so from my experience, age really doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, you definitely won't notice the age difference and at 21 I don't think that's a mature student. I'm 21 at the moment and going into my third year so there's loads of people still studying that are your age. The experience is what you make of it, just don't put numbers on it.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Anon,

If you want to go back to university, then go for it!

You have hopefully had time to think about what you'd like to study and can reflect on what was good about your last university experience and what wasn't great : (

Do your research. Make sure you have a good understanding of how the course is taught and the assessments and how this may differ at different universities. Think about what's important to you about a university and make sure that the course is something you can see your see yourself studying for three or four years.

Remember that people do gap years and some people have late birthdays, so not everyone will be 18. There may also be people who have studied before but have decided to change careers. Depending on your course or the university you attend, you might be more or less likely to find students who are older, but just to reassure you again, 21 is still young!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending