The Student Room Group

Taking other A-levels as a mature student

I have nearly finished my current A-levels (in biology, chemistry and business studies) however I don't want to work in these areas and have found interest in a different area (namely physics). I chose these a-levels not knowing what I wanted to do and now like the idea of different career, in my case I like the idea of astronomer. I would like take A-levels in these areas and therefore would like to ask if anyone knows any good providers, online or physical (I live in Leicestershire county, if that helps) or any tips for going down this pathway.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
You may want to read this firstly: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/astronomer

I might suggest looking towards doing a degree instead of an A-Level if you want to become an astronomer. The OUs Physics BSc is quite good - very space focused institution when it comes to research. It starts off pretty easy in the first stage modules and then ramps up once you get to the 2nd stage. You could also do the MPhys instead. Most brick unis will require maths and physics A-levels so the OU is pretty ideal if you would want to start now - as there are no entry requirements.

OU:
BSc Physics (R51)
Master of Physics (Astrophysics with Space Science) (M06)

If you are set on doing an A-Level however - I would suggest reaching out to your local colleges to see if they offer it and would take you. Though taking this career path would make more sense to just go for the degree - as you will need one regardless to even enter the field. The only benefit of doing the A-Levels first is having a wider choice of institutions to apply to.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest