The Student Room Group

Older students

I'm late to the party, starting my degree in October at the ripe old age of 51. How many decrepit students are there here other than myself?? 🤣

Scroll to see replies

Im 57 :smile:
I'm 39.

I'm gonna move this to the Mature Students section.
ok. is there some kind of segregation here? Are mature student issues and younger student issues not similar?
Original post by baycrusher
ok. is there some kind of segregation here? Are mature student issues and younger student issues not similar?

Depends what you're talking about. If it's course related, just post in the course section. If it's uni related, just post in the uni section.

But if it's a post specifically about being a mature student, like this one, then obviously it belongs in the mature student section.

Personally as a mature student I think there's both similarities and differences between us and younger students, depends on the situation.
Reply 5
I’m 40 starting in September
Original post by Manny2023
Hi everyone. May I know which specific path(s) you took to get back into education? As in, which pre-degree courses you took and which degree courses you will be taking? Just curious, because I'm hoping to get back into education, but haven't made a firm decision on my "path" yet.

I'm at the OU studying BA Hons Classical Studies.

As I had previously obtained a CertHE in Classical Civilisation many years ago at the University of Leeds before I dropped out, I was able to transfer 120 credits to the OU, enabling me to start the Classical Studies course at Level 2.

I'm studying part-time and am just coming to the end of my second year of Level 2. I'll be starting Level 3 in October, and will be graduating in 2025.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

As I had previously obtained a CertHE in Classical Civilisation many years ago at the University of Leeds before I dropped out, I was able to transfer 120 credits to the OU, enabling me to start the Classical Studies course at Level 2.

I'm studying part-time and am just coming to the end of my second year of Level 2. I'll be starting Level 3 in October, and will be graduating in 2025.

That’s great, and your course sounds like an adventure through time!
I love watching documentaries about that era and visiting some of the sites, but I can’t imagine how much you have to read about so many aspects. I wish you all the best in your studies!
Reply 8
Hello,

I want to be a Dietitian and just been offered a place at the University of Nottingham to study Dietetics and Nutrition. It’s something I never ever imagined I would be capable of, however somehow I did and if I did then you definitely can.

I first started with an online functional skills Maths and English course as I did not have the right grades at GCSE. This can take up-to 3 months, longer if you don’t put the time in or quicker if you put the work in. I know people who have done it in 6 weeks.

I then done an access to science course which, included chemistry, biology, physiology and study skills. It’s a one year course - I had to get distinctions in all my assignments, as my future uni course had one of the highest ucas points requirements.

There were plenty in my class though that only needed pass only as their ucas points were not high like mine. I started last September and I have just finished.

What would you like to do?
Original post by Manny2023
Hi everyone. May I know which specific path(s) you took to get back into education? As in, which pre-degree courses you took and which degree courses you will be taking? Just curious, because I'm hoping to get back into education, but haven't made a firm decision on my "path" yet.
Reply 9
Original post by Chezer1483
Hello,

I want to be a Dietitian and just been offered a place at the University of Nottingham to study Dietetics and Nutrition. It’s something I never ever imagined I would be capable of, however somehow I did and if I did then you definitely can.

I first started with an online functional skills Maths and English course as I did not have the right grades at GCSE. This can take up-to 3 months, longer if you don’t put the time in or quicker if you put the work in. I know people who have done it in 6 weeks.

I then done an access to science course which, included chemistry, biology, physiology and study skills. It’s a one year course - I had to get distinctions in all my assignments, as my future uni course had one of the highest ucas points requirements.

There were plenty in my class though that only needed pass only as their ucas points were not high like mine. I started last September and I have just finished.

What would you like to do?

Hey :smile: Was that access course you did an online course or you attended college?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

That’s great
I’m 43, will be 44 just after I start Uni in September. I probably try to talk myself out of it about 10 times a day at the moment because it’s such a step out of my comfort zone.
I was 31 when I started my Undergraduate at Durham. Just recently graduated with an MA in Medieval studies at 38.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Kellie_google
I’m 43, will be 44 just after I start Uni in September. I probably try to talk myself out of it about 10 times a day at the moment because it’s such a step out of my comfort zone.

Good luck! You'll be fine. My friend at uni did her teaching degree at 41.
Original post by cb06
Hey :smile: Was that access course you did an online course or you attended college?

I attended one at my local university, which was a college. :smile:
Hey I did mine through Learn Direct, it was really good and very straight forward
Reply 16
Original post by Chezer1483
I attended one at my local university, which was a college. :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply :smile:
And I wanted to say a very very well done for getting a place at Nottingham Uni!
I want to do the exact same course at the exact same uni and I'm happy to see there's a person who got a place there after completing access to HE education course.

I'm doing A-levels at the moment and working full-time, which is definitely not the easiest of things to do, hehe. I can't apply to uni until i re-mortgage my house, and I want to save money before that, so I have to be patient :smile:
It's brilliant to know access to HE course is accepted by the department in case I don't get the grades i need from A-levels (I better do cuz I work hard to achieve them, but you never know)

The difference is that you had face-to-face classes and I was thinking to take and online bIochemical pathway course from Learn Direct, if needed, so I'll still have to message uni to see if they'd accept it.

I'd love to hear from you how you're getting on and what you think about the course once you start it! And I wanted to wish you a good luck too! So happy for you :smile:
Original post by cb06
Thank you so much for your reply :smile:
And I wanted to say a very very well done for getting a place at Nottingham Uni!
I want to do the exact same course at the exact same uni and I'm happy to see there's a person who got a place there after completing access to HE education course.

I'm doing A-levels at the moment and working full-time, which is definitely not the easiest of things to do, hehe. I can't apply to uni until i re-mortgage my house, and I want to save money before that, so I have to be patient :smile:
It's brilliant to know access to HE course is accepted by the department in case I don't get the grades i need from A-levels (I better do cuz I work hard to achieve them, but you never know)

The difference is that you had face-to-face classes and I was thinking to take and online bIochemical pathway course from Learn Direct, if needed, so I'll still have to message uni to see if they'd accept it.

I'd love to hear from you how you're getting on and what you think about the course once you start it! And I wanted to wish you a good luck too! So happy for you :smile:

Awwwww, this is lovely thank you. Sorry I have only just seen this!
So excited for you that you will be joining the course. I know it probably seems forever for you right now but trust me the time will come!!

I don’t mind giving you my number if you want to stay in contact and find out how the course is going when I start :smile: just message me :smile:

I’m sure you will do amazing with your grades, I too was looking at back ups’ incase I failed- just pure panic because I wanted it so bad. Stay positive!

Message me x
I'm 36 and I'm considering going back to University now I have completed my MSc in Psychology. Henry Ford famously said, "Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young."

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 19
Original post by Jojofjo
I'm late to the party, starting my degree in October at the ripe old age of 51. How many decrepit students are there here other than myself?? 🤣

Hi JoJo no you are not you will be surprised how many of us there is ! i started my journey in 2017 had to take two years out, and i am starting my 3rd year now if you want it you will get there. The only thing is the first few years i had imposter syndrome ! never feeling good enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending