The Student Room Group

Flatsharing next year

Hi all. I'm a Y1 student currently, so I'm staying in uni halls. It's been comfortable I really like my accommodation. I've already decided who I'd flatshare with next year, namely some of my friends. In theory, living with them sounds lovely for a couple reasons:
1. I get along with them
2. I only have to share a kitchen with 3 other people instead of 10
3. If there's an issue, I can bring it up more easily (and should hopefully be resolved easier too, since it's just 4 of us)

So basically, in theory, it sounds like it should be wonderful. But are there any downsides I haven't considered/could know? Besides just the living conditions of the flat we'll live in (obviously). Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all. I'm a Y1 student currently, so I'm staying in uni halls. It's been comfortable I really like my accommodation. I've already decided who I'd flatshare with next year, namely some of my friends. In theory, living with them sounds lovely for a couple reasons:
1. I get along with them
3. If there's an issue, I can bring it up more easily (and should hopefully be resolved easier too, since it's just 4 of us)

So basically, in theory, it sounds like it should be wonderful. But are there any downsides I haven't considered/could know? Besides just the living conditions of the flat we'll live in (obviously). Thanks!

Hi there!

If you've already lived with your potential flat mates for next year, I'm sure you'll be able to judge what they're like to live with already. I prefer a smaller flat size, so 4 should be quite nice and you're right - it is easier to resolve things and have a tidier space when there are less of you.

Not crucial, but I moved in with friends this year and set out some boundaries at the start of the year. Nothing set in stone but it's just nice if you can all mutually agree about buying things for the kitchen, taking bins out, tidiness, that sort of thing. I found knowing what everyone was expecting at the start meant there's been less confrontation if anything has come up.

Be mindful if you haven't lived with these friends before that they will probably get on your nerves at some point! But in all honesty that can happen with anyone. As you're spending lots of time together you can be surrounded by each other a lot. But it's just like when living with family, and so things work out too.

I think you're in a good place for your next accommodation and shouldn't worry.

Hope it all goes well.
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂
1. I get along with them

Anon,

You might fall out with them. Sometimes living with close friends can make or break friendships.

You might it difficult to hang out with other friends. There might be the expectation that you all hang out together all the time, which might be great but also difficult if you want your own space or want to spend time with other friends.

You may find it difficult splitting bills or getting money for them, with tidying/people ideas of clean, or with having people round, and when the heating should go on.

I think it's great to live with friends so I am definitely not trying to put you off, but it's good to be aware of some things that could come up, and to know it's perfectly normal!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
1. I get along with them

Hey there!

If you know you'll get on with these people really well and that there's lots of pros to you doing it then I don't see any downsides and you should just go for it! 4 people is still a decent house size and by second year most people have usually broken down into smaller friendship groups anyway so you should be absolutely fine. I think if there's any downsides it could potentially be that it's more expensive than a 10 bed house would be but even then 4 bed flats are less expensive than you'd pay for like say a 2 bed or something.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending