The Student Room Group

Transfer of Status for DPhil student at Oxford

Hello,

A current 2nd-year DPhil student in English, I recently received a notification of the outcome of my Transfer assessment. This was my second attempt, and the assessors did not recommend Transfer to DPhil status; they suggested a transfer to MLitt instead.
Obviously, this is a major setback for me, and realistically, the grounds for appeal are limited. Thus I'm considering asking for a third attempt. Would anyone know the procedure to do this?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Usually, it' not possible. You could appeal the decision, and unusually you can do this on academic grounds in the first instance (but not after that). You need to start by having a frank conversation with your Director of Graduate Studies.
Reply 2
Original post by Claranon
Hello,

A current 2nd-year DPhil student in English, I recently received a notification of the outcome of my Transfer assessment. This was my second attempt, and the assessors did not recommend Transfer to DPhil status; they suggested a transfer to MLitt instead.
Obviously, this is a major setback for me, and realistically, the grounds for appeal are limited. Thus I'm considering asking for a third attempt. Would anyone know the procedure to do this?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Hey, sorry to hear this. After two attempts then technically you cannot have more. So your only option is to appeal. What was the outcome of your first attempt, was the feedback shared with you, was a plan in place with supervisor and DGS to address issues in the first failed attempt? Were they the same examiners, impartial examiners? Are there details of issues on GSR reports? Were you made aware this was your last and final attempt?
Reply 3
Hey, sorry to hear this, what a stressful time. After your second unsuccessful attempt I'm afraid you cannot request any more. Your only grounds are to appeal but this needs to be carefully thought through. You can appeal on procedural grounds or academic grounds and you need to decide which area to focus. Is there a record of issues in your GSR? What did your first transfer fail on, was a plan put in place to get you to next transfer? Were you offered an extension rather than applying for transfer again? Did you know this would be the outcome when you applied for the second transfer? Has your supervisor been supportive, was it the same assessors and are they impartial?
Reply 4
Original post by abcdefghow
Hey, sorry to hear this, what a stressful time. After your second unsuccessful attempt I'm afraid you cannot request any more. Your only grounds are to appeal but this needs to be carefully thought through. You can appeal on procedural grounds or academic grounds and you need to decide which area to focus. Is there a record of issues in your GSR? What did your first transfer fail on, was a plan put in place to get you to next transfer? Were you offered an extension rather than applying for transfer again? Did you know this would be the outcome when you applied for the second transfer? Has your supervisor been supportive, was it the same assessors and are they impartial?

Hey, thank you for your reply.
My first transfer failed because the subject wasn't 'sufficiently focused', the critical approach not 'sufficiently honed and incisive', and the methodology needed to be defined more clearly. However that's as clear as it gets: the wording was rather vague and interpreting it was guesswork for my supervisor and me.

I was given one more term to submit a new sample, no extension.
My supervisor was supportive, she didn't seem to think there was an issue with the new chapter and seemed confident that I'd be able to carry on with the DPhil.

The interview took place with the same two assessors, and generally it felt like a better experience than the first time. So the report came as a surprise; it lists the strengths and weaknesses of my work but it does seem more precise than the first time. Had they given such an exhaustive list before, it would have made my task much clearer.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Usually, it' not possible. You could appeal the decision, and unusually you can do this on academic grounds in the first instance (but not after that). You need to start by having a frank conversation with your Director of Graduate Studies.

Hello, thank you for your reply. I talked to the DGS, but I don't think academic judgment counts as a criterion. I'd have to show there was a procedural irregularity or bias/ perception of bias. At least that's what I gathered from the course handbook.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending