The Student Room Group

Mum wont let me get the money out of a bank account i have

When i was a kid my mum set me up a bank account and put my birthday and christmas money in there. Im wanting to take it out now but she wont let me she says im leaving it there to save it.

I dont know any of the details for it and apparently theres no bank card with it so ive no clue how to get it out. I dont wanna just go through her purse and its not like im gonna get the police involved or whatever. If i just go in the bank give them my name and id can i access it?
Reply 1
Original post by ox2112
When i was a kid my mum set me up a bank account and put my birthday and christmas money in there. Im wanting to take it out now but she wont let me she says im leaving it there to save it.

I dont know any of the details for it and apparently theres no bank card with it so ive no clue how to get it out. I dont wanna just go through her purse and its not like im gonna get the police involved or whatever. If i just go in the bank give them my name and id can i access it?

You should be able to go into the bank with your id and give them your address just ask them to issue you a new card or ask to empty the account there
It depends how old you are and whether the bank account is held in your name or your mother's.

If you are over 18 and the account is in your sole name, the bank should allow you to withdraw cash without involving your mother.
But if your mother is joint account holder with you and the bank requires both account holders to come sign whenever a withdrawal is made, you won't be able to take any money out without your mother's agreement.
If the bank account is held in your mother's name, the bank won't give you any information or allow you to take any money out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending