The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History Exemplars

Does anyone have any exemplar essays that have scored 21+/25 they would be able to share? I really need an A* to meet my uni offer so does anyone have tips for how to structure the essay? My teacher recommends not doing counterargument per paragraph but a final 'evaluation' paragraph just before the conclusion. What structure have your teachers recommended? Thank you!
(edited 2 months ago)
I can offer some general tips for structuring an essay and achieving a high score:

Introduction:

Start with a strong opening sentence or quote to grab the reader's attention.

Provide background information on the topic and briefly outline the main points you will discuss.

End with a clear thesis statement that states your main argument or position.

Body paragraphs:

Each paragraph should focus on a single main point or argument that supports your thesis.

Start each paragraph with a topic sentence that introduces the main idea.

Provide evidence, examples, and analysis to support your argument.

Use transition words and phrases to smoothly connect your ideas and improve coherence.

Evaluation paragraph:

After presenting your main arguments, include a paragraph where you critically evaluate your points.

Acknowledge potential counterarguments or limitations of your argument.

Explain why your argument is still valid or convincing despite these challenges.

This paragraph can demonstrate critical thinking and show a nuanced understanding of the topic.

Conclusion:

Summarize the main points of your essay.

Restate your thesis in different words to reinforce your argument.

End with a strong closing statement that leaves a lasting impression on the reader.

Regarding your teacher's recommendation on structuring the essay, it's common to include a separate evaluation paragraph rather than addressing counterarguments in each body paragraph. This approach can help maintain clarity and focus in your argument. However, the most important thing is to follow the guidelines and preferences of your specific assignment and instructor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending