The Student Room Group

French a-level but I speak French

I am fluent in French and doing the French A-level. Will universities recognise it as an a-level? I've heard some unis dismiss language a-levels if you already speak the language.
Some unis used to exclude native language subjects but that shouldn't be the case any more. They might exclude it for other reasons - because it's not accepted for a specific course, or if you took it early, but not whether it's your first language or whatever.

Probably a bit early, but you can always email some potential choices to confirm their policy.
Somebody posted LSE's approved A-Levels list which was basically strong and weak A-Levels which LSE doesn't really like. MFL/Community languages was one of the strong ones.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Some unis used to exclude native language subjects but that shouldn't be the case any more. They might exclude it for other reasons - because it's not accepted for a specific course, or if you took it early, but not whether it's your first language or whatever.

Probably a bit early, but you can always email some potential choices to confirm their policy.

It's not my native language, it's my weaker language so I think that should be fine.
Original post by hicweondksc
It's not my native language, it's my weaker language so I think that should be fine.

Same advice applies to anyone that is fluent or native. As above, you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest