The Student Room Group

I need advice.

I am s3, going into S4. and have sorted all subject choices except whether to take N5 Modern Studies or N5 History.. Can you all tell me which could be a better choice? / why you did what you did please, and cheers for the advice in advance

I do love both subjects.

I've got until Friday for an official choice date
Reply 1
Original post by v1ak
I am s3, going into S4. and have sorted all subject choices except whether to take N5 Modern Studies or N5 History.. Can you all tell me which could be a better choice? / why you did what you did please, and cheers for the advice in advance

I do love both subjects.

I've got until Friday for an official choice date

Hello :smile: I’m in S4 and recently submitted my course choice form for Highers next year. I don’t know if this will be much help but I did take N5 history this year. As far as I know, both subjects have the same exam techniques (so 6 types of questions you could be asked in the exam). I don’t know what modern studies covers as I never took it - but often your school should have a booklet with what each subject covers for N5/H/AH. If not, I’d speak to someone who teaches those subjects. I think the best way to choose is to find out what you will be taught if you take that subject. Many schools differ on their topics and you may find that some are more interesting/boring than others - so modern studies may appeal more to you or vice versa depending on the topics taught. In terms of uni applications, both will look just as good - unless you want to apply for something like history (then history would be the best choice).

In general, my advice would be to just find out what you would be taught. And make a decision on what is more interesting. Hope this helps!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending