The Student Room Group

Can a teacher MAKE me do a subject I really don't want to do?

Ok, so my options are:
Higher Triple Science
Spanish
Geography
Business
Further Maths
Needless to say, I have more than enough options, right?
But the other day, we got our 'draft' documents- which are papers with all the exams we'll take in the summer, we had to sign it. And I've been put down for Statistics Higher. I hate hate hate it so much. Statistics completley ruined my report last time, because I barely got a 5! But they've continuously made me do the mock. I've had two rounds of full mocks now, and had to do Statistics TWICE. That's twice more than I needed to. Whenever I bring this up with teachers or my maths teacher, I'm told to go to someone else. Everyone just tells me to just do it and 'see how you do, and then see how you feel after that'. It's annoying. So, is it possible for these teachers to go behind my back and put me down for Statistics Higher at GCSE? Because I feel as though I have no control over it now. Tomorrow, I'm being forced to sit it for the 3rd time. I think after that, they'll make our summer documents official.
Can anyone help?
Original post by shiftycatz
Ok, so my options are:
Higher Triple Science
Spanish
Geography
Business
Further Maths
Needless to say, I have more than enough options, right?
But the other day, we got our 'draft' documents- which are papers with all the exams we'll take in the summer, we had to sign it. And I've been put down for Statistics Higher. I hate hate hate it so much. Statistics completley ruined my report last time, because I barely got a 5! But they've continuously made me do the mock. I've had two rounds of full mocks now, and had to do Statistics TWICE. That's twice more than I needed to. Whenever I bring this up with teachers or my maths teacher, I'm told to go to someone else. Everyone just tells me to just do it and 'see how you do, and then see how you feel after that'. It's annoying. So, is it possible for these teachers to go behind my back and put me down for Statistics Higher at GCSE? Because I feel as though I have no control over it now. Tomorrow, I'm being forced to sit it for the 3rd time. I think after that, they'll make our summer documents official.
Can anyone help?

Hi @shiftycatz

I actually went through something similar. Because I was in the top set for Maths, we all had to do GCSE Statistics, but we took the exam in year 10 rather than in year 11.

I never questioned it at the time because I was quite keen to gain an extra GCSE qualification.

In your case, though, if it is possible, I would sit with a parent/guardian and draft an email together explaining exactly why you don't want to sit the exam for GCSE Statistics. Then find out who the relevent person is to recieve your email and support you. From what I can see, it is not a compulsory GCSE, but of course, depending on your school, they may have different preferences.

Good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @shiftycatz

I actually went through something similar. Because I was in the top set for Maths, we all had to do GCSE Statistics, but we took the exam in year 10 rather than in year 11.

I never questioned it at the time because I was quite keen to gain an extra GCSE qualification.

In your case, though, if it is possible, I would sit with a parent/guardian and draft an email together explaining exactly why you don't want to sit the exam for GCSE Statistics. Then find out who the relevent person is to recieve your email and support you. From what I can see, it is not a compulsory GCSE, but of course, depending on your school, they may have different preferences.

Good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Hi, thanks so much for the advice! Me and my dad are actually going to write an email today, because I really CANT do Statistics- I flopped the mock too. I would really like to spend my remaining time to focus on my other options rather than take on a new burden.
Thanks so much though! <3
I mean outside of a parent making a stink about it (particularly with the school board), there's not much you can do even if in principle you should be given other options.

My school forced everyone in my year to do GCSE PE as a pilot because they were a "sports college". Needless to say the pilot was a failure as I think most of the year got a C or failed it, and the following year they removed that requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest