The Student Room Group

Can I pass a GCSE without attending any more classes?

So due to issues with maths teachers, I don't want to go in my class or any other teachers' classes. If I skip lessons and just revise and learn things I don't know on the internet, can I still get a high grade (8 or 9)?
Original post by via16
So due to issues with maths teachers, I don't want to go in my class or any other teachers' classes. If I skip lessons and just revise and learn things I don't know on the internet, can I still get a high grade (8 or 9)?

Probably not
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Probably not

How do I know you're not my maths teacher trying to convince me to do lessons?
Original post by via16

because I'm a random A-level student who doesn't even study maths
Reply 4
Original post by via16

You need to go to lessons - I'm not your Maths teacher but I am a Maths teacher. We help students improve a lot and where they are already at a grade 9 ensoure they avoid silly slips under exam conditions.

If you have an issue with one teacher then ask to join another group.
Original post by via16

Why do you have issues with the teachers?
Reply 6
Original post by Talkative Toad
Why do you have issues with the teachers?

I got told I could make a decision about whether I wanted to stay in my current maths set or move down a set because it would significantly affect me, and then I went in school and found out that the teachers had just decided to move me down anyways. I'm not bothered about the actual decision itself or moving down, I'm just bothered that they said it was up to me and then just decided themselves.
Reply 7
Original post by via16

I'd say likely not, unless you are in Year 11 and have a deep understanding of GCSE-level maths or enjoy actually learning it by yourself, you probably won't reach the top grades. Teachers are much better at actually helping you than any revision guide or video you find online, as they can help you with specific topics and questions you struggle with.
Original post by via16
I got told I could make a decision about whether I wanted to stay in my current maths set or move down a set because it would significantly affect me, and then I went in school and found out that the teachers had just decided to move me down anyways. I'm not bothered about the actual decision itself or moving down, I'm just bothered that they said it was up to me and then just decided themselves.

Can’t you ask the teachers to move you back up in this case? Seeing as you were told that you could make a decision but that didn’t happen in reality.
Reply 9
Original post by Talkative Toad
Can’t you ask the teachers to move you back up in this case? Seeing as you were told that you could make a decision but that didn’t happen in reality.

No because they just said that the head of maths has already decided + they've already moved someone up in my place
Original post by via16
No because they just said that the head of maths has already decided + they've already moved someone up in my place

I see, that’s a shame then.
Reply 11
Original post by via16

Honestly yes. Hate to be a bad influence but in comparison to further studies, GCSEs are dead easy. Youll find it quite demotivating and long studying for all your 8+ subjects but its definitely possible

Also make sure you try get moved back to higher in maths so you can do it at a level
Original post by via16

Unless if you're really struggling in some subjects, not attending SOME of your subject lessons may be fine, but ONLY if those are subjects in which you're doing well in and in which your revision techniques are working.

For maths, english and science, I highly recommend GCSE maths tutor, Glow up your grades and freesciencelessons/cognito - they will get you good grades as long as you use the specification, past papers, examiner reports and websites such as PMT/MME revise along with that.

I think for essay subjects such as english, it may be harder for you to study by yourself - especially if the teacher has access to good resources online. However, if you do practice essays in your own time from past papers, use this website to mark it:

https://app.edumentors.co.uk/gcse

Obviously I know the right thing to do is to attend all of your lessons, but in some cases if you feel confident enough that your grade won't slip + your revision techniques are super effective - then I guess attending all lessons isn't a big requirement, however, you should probably still come in for any exams you have so you can really see if your methods are working.
Does moving down a set mean you would be doing the foundation tier instead of higher? If not, I would move past the issue with your teachers and focus on getting the best grade you can. Your frustration is understandable if your teachers had the final say despite telling you it was your decision (which is odd, I have to say). But you’d be better off channeling that energy into acing your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest