The Student Room Group

Is it better to drop the EPQ for my application?

This is going to be long but the rundown is that my school forces people to either do 4 alevels or 3 alevels and the EPQ and I chose the second option. I finally realised that now, 5 months in, that I really hate the EPQ and I have an inkling that it might actually hinder my application for the courses i want to apply to. My EPQ question is about changing attitudes towards eating disorders in women over the past twenty years and I want to study either pharmacology or biomed (im not sure specifically) at uni. It’s not that I am necessarily bad at the EPQ, it is just that I could not be any less bothered to do it and if I am asked about my EPQ in an interview I am scared as to how I will spin the question to be relevant to my course and what I would even talk about since I don’t care that much about it. The reason why I havent dropped it yet is because my school makes it VERY hard to do so (parents need to get involved), I am afraid the uni i apply to would question why I dropped it and that it would make my application weaker, and I am already quite far into the process of writing it (finished lit review, doing presentations currently).
Would it be smarter to drop it or just endure it?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by ast3r
This is going to be long but the rundown is that my school forces people to either do 4 alevels or 3 alevels and the EPQ and I chose the second option. I finally realised that now, 5 months in, that I really hate the EPQ and I have an inkling that it might actually hinder my application for the courses i want to apply to. My EPQ question is about changing attitudes towards eating disorders in women over the past twenty years and I want to study either pharmacology or biomed (im not sure specifically) at uni. It’s not that I am necessarily bad at the EPQ, it is just that I could not be any less bothered to do it and if I am asked about my EPQ in an interview I am scared as to how I will spin the question to be relevant to my course and what I would even talk about since I don’t care that much about it. The reason why I havent dropped it yet is because my school makes it VERY hard to do so (parents need to get involved), I am afraid the uni i apply to would question why I dropped it and that it would make my application weaker, and I am already quite far into the process of writing it (finished lit review, doing presentations currently).
Would it be smarter to drop it or just endure it?

I would drop it if you can make the case that you can focus on your AL's. Not all unis take EPQ's into account so a lot of the time it is waste.

Most unis don't interivew, what subject are yo going to be applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
I would drop it if you can make the case that you can focus on your AL's. Not all unis take EPQ's into account so a lot of the time it is waste.

Most unis don't interivew, what subject are yo going to be applying for?

hi!

i completely forgot to look back at this thread after posting so i apologise for the lack of reply!
i ended up not dropping the EPQ and sticking with it. it was a mess but after some all nighters i have gotten what i think to be an A* (52/54)! hopefully this will lead to lowered offers for some unis that i apply to.

also, since that time i've done more research and realised that most unis in fact do not interview which i was very glad to find out about :biggrin:
i will be applying for biochem or possibly pharmacology but most likely biochem

thanks!
Original post by ast3r
hi!

i completely forgot to look back at this thread after posting so i apologise for the lack of reply!
i ended up not dropping the EPQ and sticking with it. it was a mess but after some all nighters i have gotten what i think to be an A* (52/54)! hopefully this will lead to lowered offers for some unis that i apply to.

also, since that time i've done more research and realised that most unis in fact do not interview which i was very glad to find out about :biggrin:

thanks!

wow man thats really good.. well done
im doign mine rn, everything due in by christmas ish. but i need to have a draft by september.
did u do aqa or?
Reply 4
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
wow man thats really good.. well done
im doign mine rn, everything due in by christmas ish. but i need to have a draft by september.
did u do aqa or?

hope that everything is going smoothly with your epq! i did edexcel
Original post by ast3r
hope that everything is going smoothly with your epq! i did edexcel

thank you
im doing aqa, epq has been pain because i left so much of the production log and the research to do till now, just got through it. time to start essay soon though :biggrin: if u dont mind me asking, how long did it take for u to do the 5000 ish word essay?
Original post by ast3r
hi!

thanks!

Ha, I did think it was an old thread when I saw the title!

Glad that the EPQ worked out for you. A good result won’t do any harm and as you note, a few places might lower an offer, (or take it into account if you narrowly miss your offer grades).

Best of luck with the applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending