The Student Room Group

Medicine with GCSE combined science

Is it possible? Can I pursue medicine if I did GCSE combined science instead of triple science?
Reply 1
Original post by Soann83
Is it possible? Can I pursue medicine if I did GCSE combined science instead of triple science?

Yes
Reply 2
Original post by Smsee

Yes

Thank you
Original post by Soann83
Shouldn't be a problem but it could get more challenging in the future.
Reply 4
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Shouldn't be a problem but it could get more challenging in the future.

Would you be able to elaborate please?
Hi,
I did combined science at GCSE because it was only offered at my school and I have just received an offer to study medicine at KMMS. There are no problems with combined science but you may have topics you haven’t considered covered before that other people know when you are starting alevels.
Reply 6
Original post by Clem Farmer
Hi,
I did combined science at GCSE because it was only offered at my school and I have just received an offer to study medicine at KMMS. There are no problems with combined science but you may have topics you haven’t considered covered before that other people know when you are starting alevels.

Congratulations on your offer✨ and thank you for the details
Original post by Soann83
Would you be able to elaborate please?
I would say triple science exposes more content compared to combined (I'm sure you already know) so from my theory - it would take extra time for you to learn the content that you may need compared to someone who already has the rigid bases of understanding in some topics.
I might be wrong as it depends on the individual.
I hope your day goes wonderful and I wish you the best!
Original post by Soann83
you absolutely can! i did combined so this was also one of my worries when applying to medicine but if it was a genuine issue i wouldn’t be sitting on a medicine offer as of today 😁

when i was in high school they didn’t offer a triple science group because there weren’t enough people to fill a class. ridiculous i know. i ended up doing combined which was honestly fine. the biggest advantage of doing triple is that it delves more into topics you will cover in a-level biology and chemistry. so you might have to do a bit more work to understand certain concepts that other people may have some background knowledge on already when you get to college. it isn’t a lot though so if you choose to do combined don’t worry, a-levels are taught from scratch anyway so you will catch up.

good luck on your studies!
Reply 9
Original post by jelllyfiiish
I would say triple science exposes more content compared to combined (I'm sure you already know) so from my theory - it would take extra time for you to learn the content that you may need compared to someone who already has the rigid bases of understanding in some topics.
I might be wrong as it depends on the individual.
I hope your day goes wonderful and I wish you the best!

That makes sense, thank you
Reply 10
Original post by killcupid
you absolutely can! i did combined so this was also one of my worries when applying to medicine but if it was a genuine issue i wouldn’t be sitting on a medicine offer as of today 😁

when i was in high school they didn’t offer a triple science group because there weren’t enough people to fill a class. ridiculous i know. i ended up doing combined which was honestly fine. the biggest advantage of doing triple is that it delves more into topics you will cover in a-level biology and chemistry. so you might have to do a bit more work to understand certain concepts that other people may have some background knowledge on already when you get to college. it isn’t a lot though so if you choose to do combined don’t worry, a-levels are taught from scratch anyway so you will catch up.

good luck on your studies!

Congratulations to you on your offer🎉 thank you for letting me know we would be able to catch up in a-levels

Quick Reply

Latest