The Student Room Group

Travel from Uni accommodation to Uni

Hey! Just a quick and curious question, how long will you be willing to travel from your uni accommodation (wherever you’re renting) to university? Would a 40 min bus/walk travel be too much?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by josikageorge
Hey! Just a quick and curious question, how long will you be willing to travel from your uni accommodation (wherever you’re renting) to university? Would a 40 min bus/walk travel be too much?
Hi @josikageorge

I personally chose to live a 15 minute walk away from uni in student halls for my second year, as I wanted to be able to head into uni easily without having to worry about public transport. I'm also a design student so I often have lots to carry which impacted my decision.

I do, however, have friends on the same course who live about a 30/40 minute bus ride away from campus and don't mind it at all, especially as the rent is cheaper in a student house. It all depends on whether you'd feel as motivated to travel to uni if you lived further away, and also what is best for budget. There is no wrong answer necessarily, but have a think about whether living further away would more likely help or hinder your situation.

Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @josikageorge

I personally chose to live a 15 minute walk away from uni in student halls for my second year, as I wanted to be able to head into uni easily without having to worry about public transport. I'm also a design student so I often have lots to carry which impacted my decision.

I do, however, have friends on the same course who live about a 30/40 minute bus ride away from campus and don't mind it at all, especially as the rent is cheaper in a student house. It all depends on whether you'd feel as motivated to travel to uni if you lived further away, and also what is best for budget. There is no wrong answer necessarily, but have a think about whether living further away would more likely help or hinder your situation.

Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! It helps a lot!

I think the closer, the better, but I think a 40 minute commute is still decent! I've started to look at places for next year and I find that it's a balancing act between how long the commute will be and how affordable the place will be. The shorter the commute the better, obviously, but I think that anything under an hour is acceptable and decent.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
I think the closer, the better, but I think a 40 minute commute is still decent! I've started to look at places for next year and I find that it's a balancing act between how long the commute will be and how affordable the place will be. The shorter the commute the better, obviously, but I think that anything under an hour is acceptable and decent.
Thank you!
Hello,
My name is Haya and I’m a final year medical student. As a Medic I commute a lot.

Personally if my commute by walking is an hour or more, I often use public transport, which does tend to reduce the time needed to commute to hospital.

To university I would often ride my bicycle as a form of exercise (weather permitting 🤣)

I do hope you've found this helpful. If you would like to show your support, please consider leaving us your vote for Best Official Rep here:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7443827
All the best,
Haya MBBS V
Hiya!

As a student, I have lived in the same accommodation building for my first and second year at university and I have also booked for my third year also. My accommodation is only a 10-minute walk from campus and usually a 15-minute walk from my building. One of the reasons as to why I chose to live at my building is due to the location being close to campus and all the facilities.

However, I do have friends that have lived half an hour to an hour away which they didn’t seem to mind as they were able to find more affordable accommodation but you will just have to factor in the extra time when leaving to get to university or if you have a gap in the day. Personally, I think it depends on your motivation as you wouldn’t want to get into bad habits such as missing lectures due to the commute.

Overall though I would say that 40 minutes doesn’t sound too far and is do-able it is just up to you at the end of the day; and worst case scenario you can always change accommodations at the end of the year.

I hope this helps
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
Hi there,

In my first year, I lived on campus. In my second year, I lived just under a 10 minute walk away. I'm currently on a year abroad, but in my final year, I plan to live a 10-15 minute walk from campus.

I think your course (how much you'd need to carry); your classes (if you commuted from further away, would you have to stay on campus all day because there are big gaps between them or would you have just one class a day?); and your motivation, could all impact your decision. Would you be willing to travel further for a day with only one lecture?

A 40 minute bus journey/walk isn't too bad, but it all depends on you. For me, the shorter the better, but I agree that anything under an hour is doable.

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Hi there,

Well, where is your accommodation is the question. Your travel time to uni will depend on where you're staying. For me, it's just a 15min walk to campus because I stay in university owned accommodation, some of my friends it's a 25min walk while some others it's a 30min bus ride, some others take the train for an hour, so it really depends on how close you are to the university. But private student accommodation closer to the city center, university or the nearest bus stop tend to cost a bit more because of proximity. It's usually something people consider while looking for an accommodation so take your time to know what you're okay with as you won't be on campus every day of the week. Hope this helps!
Hi there,

I refer to live closer but, so long as the commute is reliable (i.e. there is not a regular problem with the trains) I know people that would regularly commute up to an hour.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending