The Student Room Group

How to choose Unis

I have created a spreadsheet on excel to compare different unis and i have a list of 7 that i cant decide on. I have compared using accommodation prices, clubs, facilities, course modules, distance, location but i cant think of anything else to add. I cant visit any of them as they are too far but i just wondered if there is anything else i need to consider so that i could shorten my list.

Scroll to see replies

Is this for 2024 entry?

If you can’t afford to travel to any of them between now and January 2024 then you probably can’t afford to travel to them to study.
Reply 2
Look at Campus tour and Open Day films on YouTube to narrow down your choice.
But focus on course contant / options - that's what you will study every day, not the buildings or the nightlife.
Original post by PQ
Is this for 2024 entry?

If you can’t afford to travel to any of them between now and January 2024 then you probably can’t afford to travel to them to study.

This is for the september 2024 entry. Money isnt the issue its just that most of these unis are over 100 miles away so my parents wont allow me to visit them alone. Obviously when i get a set list of the 5 unis to apply to then i will make arrangements to visit them but as i have over 5 options its difficult to see all of them. Also ill be living at the unis so i wont need travel money to study/
The biggie you are missing is grade requirements

If you’re scheduled to get 4 x A* and those 7 require EE, they may not be high on your list (and vice versa)
Original post by heyidontknowwhat
This is for the september 2024 entry. Money isnt the issue its just that most of these unis are over 100 miles away so my parents wont allow me to visit them alone. Obviously when i get a set list of the 5 unis to apply to then i will make arrangements to visit them but as i have over 5 options its difficult to see all of them. Also ill be living at the unis so i wont need travel money to study/

You’ve got over 6 months before you need to submit your application.

If your parents won’t let you travel to visit them alone now then see if anyone you know would join you to visit them for an open day. Whether that’s with your parents, another relative, a friend or similar.

In just over a year you’ll be travelling to your university to live alone (and travelling back alone at Christmas and Easter).

100 miles isn’t that far. It’s definitely a day trip distance.

Don’t apply to 5 choices without attending any open days or visiting at all. That’s a highly risky option. Universities that you think are perfect on paper could be somewhere you hate or feel uncomfortable and once you’ve used your 5 choices then your choices are limited.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Johnny Valentine
The biggie you are missing is grade requirements

If you’re scheduled to get 4 x A* and those 7 require EE, they may not be high on your list (and vice versa)

Forgot to say on here but ive already added them and they are all pretty much the same asking for 112-120 UCAS points
I have created a spreadsheet on excel to compare different unis and i have a list of 7 that i cant decide on. I have compared using accommodation prices, clubs, facilities, course modules, distance, location but i cant think of anything else to add. I cant visit any of them as they are too far but i just wondered if there is anything else i need to consider so that i could shorten my list.

Hi @heyidontknowwhat,

I'm currently a second-year at Lancaster Uni and I also found it really difficult to pick a uni to go to.

If you can't visit any open days yet (which in my opinion is the best way to decide), there are usually videos online touring the campuses, accommodation and faculties of universities so it may be helpful to have a look at those. For me, accommodation was a big deciding factor on where to study because I wanted an ensuite in my first year so make sure there is some accommodation that you would like. In addition to this, I know some uni cities have highly competitive accommodation that is not university owned. In other cities, it may not be as competitive. As most people move out of uni halls in second year, this may be something to consider.

I would also suggest having an in-depth review of the course content, teaching quality/ style and assessment style at the universities you are interested in. These can all differ between different unis. As you'll be spending at least 3 years studying, it is important you have considered these to ensure you enjoy your degree as much as possible.

Hope this helps :smile:
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

what unis are you thinking of? i can then help
Reply 9

You could ask on TSR or the uni directly, and state course and the 7 unis, and ask what opportunities they have had internships wise? Support wise?
Also please state the unis on here because theres people here that can give you their thoughts on there.

Also do not choose your unis that all have the same entrance grades. And theres vloggers on you tube that have been to these unis. Some unis also have 360' degrees on thier accommodation. Also your 7, are they city unis or Campus unis?
Original post by A Rolling Stone
what unis are you thinking of? i can then help

University of Wolverhampton, University of South Wales, University of Derby, Northumbria University, Teesside University, Bournemouth University and Liverpool John Moores University
Original post by Ghostlady
You could ask on TSR or the uni directly, and state course and the 7 unis, and ask what opportunities they have had internships wise? Support wise?
Also please state the unis on here because theres people here that can give you their thoughts on there.

Also do not choose your unis that all have the same entrance grades. And theres vloggers on you tube that have been to these unis. Some unis also have 360' degrees on thier accommodation. Also your 7, are they city unis or Campus unis?

Ive just posted the list of unis on here. Im not trying to choose the unis that all have the same grade but all the ones i found are very similar like a B or a C in biology thats it and the UCAS points are the same. Im predicted a B so ill mainly choose tho but also add the C grades ones and others to be safe.

Im pretty sure all the unis are campus based but some are city campuses, which i dont mind. Im not too fussed about when the campus is as long as its got a town of some sort. Also thanks for suggestion of looking for people on youtube as i studily havent thought of it yet ill definitly go look.

I think im going to do seperate chats for each of the unis courses on here like you said to get peoples opinions about the course and campus.
Reply 12
Ive just posted the list of unis on here. Im not trying to choose the unis that all have the same grade but all the ones i found are very similar like a B or a C in biology thats it and the UCAS points are the same. Im predicted a B so ill mainly choose tho but also add the C grades ones and others to be safe.

Im pretty sure all the unis are campus based but some are city campuses, which i dont mind. Im not too fussed about when the campus is as long as its got a town of some sort. Also thanks for suggestion of looking for people on youtube as i studily havent thought of it yet ill definitly go look.

I think im going to do seperate chats for each of the unis courses on here like you said to get peoples opinions about the course and campus.

Derbys campus is pretty nice. Unrelated but we parked there to see a firework display and the campus is quite pretty. I can see how the unis are all over geographically. Perhaps tie in Northumbria and Teeside. The counties are not too far from each other. So what you could do is pick the open day for one of them, stay over night and then on the way back home (which ever is the closest to home) go and visit for a little walk around at the other uni. We did that with leeds. It does not have to be an open day.

Or you could do that with Wolverhampton and Derby. They are about 1 hours drive apart.

My daughter has finished yr 13 and is predicted a B in biology. She has chosen zoology at Reading BBD and Chester BCC so its good to have that B C mix. Wolverhampton is one we are looking at at clearing as animal behaviour there is CCC, and ive been to Wolverhampton to see some friends a few times, so its a pretty decent city.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 13
Take a big picture view - what do you want your life to be like for the next three years? You will be living in a city, but every city is different, and (really important) the relationship between the university and city is different too.

Are you hoping for a campus-style student experience where you live on site, surrounded by other students all the time, and can stroll from your accommodation to your lecture in a few minutes, and get involved in lots of clubs and student politics? Or are you hoping for a more independent experience, where you're just another person living in a big city, commute to university like a job, and pursue hobbies etc that aren't connected to the university?

From my own experience, I was seriously considering York, mostly because I knew the city of York and liked it, and could see myself spending time in the cafes, shops etc when not in a lecture. But I soon found out that the University of York isn't really in York, but a good 30 or 40 minute walk outside of the city - so far, in fact, that the university operates a shuttle bus service into the city centre. So I realised that I'd end up spending a lot of time on campus. Now there's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it just wasn't what I personally wanted. On that basis, I chose UCL, and I was able to both attend university and have a life, make friends, join groups etc elsewhere in London, and not be a student 24/7, which just suited my preferences much better.

So every university has a slightly different way in which you, as a student, interact with the city you're based in (or near), and it's a good idea to consider how that will fit with your expectations, hobbies and lifestyle.
University of Wolverhampton, University of South Wales, University of Derby, Northumbria University, Teesside University, Bournemouth University and Liverpool John Moores University

oh and you're doing biology?

hmm well i think you'll find most of these much of a muchness, you can have a look on Google street view and their social media. out of these i would pick John Moores to be in liverpool or Bournemouth might be fun

Hi there @heyidontknowwhatt, :smile:

Open days are the best way for you to get a feel for a university and gives you the opportunity to meet current students and staff. Although it is most beneficial going to an open day in person some universities offer virtual open days or online campus tours which allow you to discover your options without having to leave home.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Hi @heyidontknowwhat

I would recommend attending online events or looking at virtual open days for the unis you are interested in.

Many unis will have videos and 360 views of their campuses.

For example Lancaster has this https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/find-out-more/ and I’m sure other unis will have similar websites.

Hope that helps!

-Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
@heyidontknowwhat

For your spreadsheet list, you could look at assessment (exams, assignments, etc), students employed after completing the degree, placement year, rankings (for the subject rather than the uni as a whole) and the average number of students on the course.

As much as possible it's good to get a feel for the university, whether that's through online research or by talking to people who know the location or uni well.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 9 months ago)

Where are you living in relation to these universities as they are pretty spread out. You have 2 very north eadt 2 midlands 1 in south wales and 1 on the south coast. USW is in a quite small town Pontypridd. Liverpool is a massive city. They are totally different.

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

That is great that you are thinking of studying at the University of Wolverhampton. We have lots of open days throughout the year, but if you struggle to make it to these, then there is lots of information available on our Youtube and social media pages about what it is like to study here, including Campus Tours, student testimonials, FAQ videos and lots more to help you fully understand. This is the link to our YouTube page: https://youtube.com/@WlvAcUkUniversity, we also have TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin and Twitter which help showcase the uni.

We also have information on our website featuring FAQs, student quotes, links to videos and much more to get a feel for the uni. https://www.wlv.ac.uk

If you have any specific questions about the course, uni life etc then please do get in touch and we will be happy to help :smile:

All the best,
LB (WolvesRep)
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending