The Student Room Group

Portfolio Advice

So you’ve got to prepare a portfolio for your uni application and you have no idea where to start? Don’t stress, I’ve been there and came out the other side with a place at my first choice uni!

Putting a portfolio together can feel intimidating and stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s go through some tips to get you started.

I like to start by laying out my work in front of me. It can be final designs and pieces, sketchbooks, work I hate and work I love. Get it in front of you so it’s easier to see everything and then you can be selective with what you want to include later on.

You want your portfolio to showcase you who you are, what you’re good at, how you work and what you enjoy so make sure to include your best work that you’re proud of. But, don’t be afraid to include sketchbook pages, development work and unfinished work as this can show your creative processes and creative thinking too. Its good to show a project from start to finish, as well as stand alone pieces of work. And anything additional you’ve done outside of your studies is always welcome.

Try to take the pressure off creating your portfolio. It’s your opportunity to express yourself and show how amazing you are! I like to think of a portfolio as a visual conversation between you and your chosen unis, so they can learn more about you through your work.

For more information about course specific portfolio advice, you can head to the BCU website here: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/arts-design-and-media/portfolio-guidance

Or ask any questions below!
Good luck! Emily :smile:
Original post by BCU Student Rep
So you’ve got to prepare a portfolio for your uni application and you have no idea where to start? Don’t stress, I’ve been there and came out the other side with a place at my first choice uni!

Putting a portfolio together can feel intimidating and stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s go through some tips to get you started.

I like to start by laying out my work in front of me. It can be final designs and pieces, sketchbooks, work I hate and work I love. Get it in front of you so it’s easier to see everything and then you can be selective with what you want to include later on.

You want your portfolio to showcase you who you are, what you’re good at, how you work and what you enjoy so make sure to include your best work that you’re proud of. But, don’t be afraid to include sketchbook pages, development work and unfinished work as this can show your creative processes and creative thinking too. Its good to show a project from start to finish, as well as stand alone pieces of work. And anything additional you’ve done outside of your studies is always welcome.

Try to take the pressure off creating your portfolio. It’s your opportunity to express yourself and show how amazing you are! I like to think of a portfolio as a visual conversation between you and your chosen unis, so they can learn more about you through your work.

For more information about course specific portfolio advice, you can head to the BCU website here: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/arts-design-and-media/portfolio-guidance

Or ask any questions below!
Good luck! Emily :smile:
Should I write about the projects that i do or are the photos enough ?
Original post by bless.xd1144
Should I write about the projects that i do or are the photos enough ?
Hi @bless.xd1144

Sometimes some text can be helpful. You can always add project titles in and/or brief descriptions to your portfolio. Try not to overpower your images with text, but if you feel some text would help showcase and explain your work, then some text is good.

Hope your portfolio is coming along okay!
Emily 🙂
Hi @bless.xd1144

Sometimes some text can be helpful. You can always add project titles in and/or brief descriptions to your portfolio. Try not to overpower your images with text, but if you feel some text would help showcase and explain your work, then some text is good.

Hope your portfolio is coming along okay!
Emily 🙂

Thanks, what platform would you say is the best to make your portfolio? PowerPoint? Google slides?
Original post by bless.xd1144
Thanks, what platform would you say is the best to make your portfolio? PowerPoint? Google slides?
Hey @bless.xd1144

Now that I'm at uni I think Adobe Illustrator is a good one to use, but I know from my own experience that this might not be a program you're familiar with at this stage. I used PowerPoint for my uni portfolios and that worked out really well.

Emily
Hey @bless.xd1144

Now that I'm at uni I think Adobe Illustrator is a good one to use, but I know from my own experience that this might not be a program you're familiar with at this stage. I used PowerPoint for my uni portfolios and that worked out really well.

Emily

Ok thank you

Quick Reply

Latest