The Student Room Group

how long can a school hold my diploma

my school still hasnt given me my btec diploma for applied science. I only finished one year, but i should still be able to get it right? They tried to tell me it wasnt worth it if its only half an a level (but thats 24 POINTS NO?) anyway how long can they hold it for? i have emailed them multiple times, no answer..do i report it to offsetd?
Original post by zineb.elkettani
my school still hasnt given me my btec diploma for applied science. I only finished one year, but i should still be able to get it right? They tried to tell me it wasnt worth it if its only half an a level (but thats 24 POINTS NO?) anyway how long can they hold it for? i have emailed them multiple times, no answer..do i report it to offsetd?

Nothing to do with Ofsted. You could complain to Pearson, but you have to go through the school complaints process first. However, most schools register learners for the full 2 year diploma and you only get a qualification at the end. If you have only completed one year it is possible that you have not completed sufficient Mandatory and optional units to get any qualification and this may be what your school is trying to say. Edited to add; The L3 Nat certificate is equivalent to half an A level and that is Unit 1 (external exam) and 2 (coursework). Have you completed both of those units (and if so what grades for each)?
(edited 5 months ago)
Sometimes awards for partial completion are possible, sometimes they aren't - as what you've done isn't focussed enough to merit a complete lesser qualification such as a Certificate or Award.
Original post by bamtutor
Nothing to do with Ofsted. You could complain to Pearson, but you have to go through the school complaints process first. However, most schools register learners for the full 2 year diploma and you only get a qualification at the end. If you have only completed one year it is possible that you have not completed sufficient Mandatory and optional units to get any qualification and this may be what your school is trying to say. Edited to add; The L3 Nat certificate is equivalent to half an A level and that is Unit 1 (external exam) and 2 (coursework). Have you completed both of those units (and if so what grades for each)?

Hey, thanks for the response! im not sure what grades ive gotten as its been over a couple months. I will defiantly go with the schools complaints first. I have tried to email them multiple times, i kept getting ignored. but i have completed all mandatory and optional units 🙂 for my exams i got Merits
(edited 5 months ago)
Hey, thanks for the response! im not sure what grades ive gotten as its been over a couple months. I will defiantly go with the schools complaints first. I have tried to email them multiple times, i kept getting ignored. but i have completed all mandatory and optional units 🙂 for my exams i got Merits

you say all units and exams (plural) which does not fit with the half A level statement. Can you let me know the full title of the course you were doing (Cert / Ext Cert / Dip/ Ext Dip etc) and how many exams and how many internal units you competed? Did the school actually say they are not giving you the certificate as its 'not worth it' or is it possible they have not claimed it as they have registered you on 2 year course as I mentioned earlier?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by bamtutor
you say all units and exams (plural) which does not fit with the half A level statement. Can you let me know the full title of the course you were doing (Cert / Ext Cert / Dip/ Ext Dip etc) and how many exams and how many internal units you competed? Did the school actually say they are not giving you the certificate as its 'not worth it' or is it possible they have not claimed it as they have registered you on 2 year course as I mentioned earlier?

i finished all units for one year, is what i meant. i done the BTEC Level 3 Extended National Diploma Applied Science. Yes, they did tell me it wasnt worth much.
i finished all units for one year, is what i meant. i done the BTEC Level 3 Extended National Diploma Applied Science. Yes, they did tell me it wasnt worth much.

that's what is confusing. If you had completed the whole first year of an Ext Diploma, you should have completed the units for 1.5 A level equivalent Foundation diploma and not just half an A level? See page 5 of the spec and see if you can work out which units you did complete; https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Applied-Science/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/BTEC-L3-Nat-ExtDip-in-Applied-Science-Spec.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending