The Student Room Group

Med Degree/Apprenticeship Alternatives?

Hi all, very confused and getting more confused about what I want to do in the future with each person I talk to about it.

Currently: med applicant, received all 4 interviews, worried I didn't hit target AAA and that I'll either have to do a different degree, medicine at my AAB uni (Swansea - not sure I would be happy with the location), or resits (really do not want to do this). Likely to get AAB rather than AAA.

My goal (with med/whatever I end up doing) would to work abroad in somewhere like Australia, or to have a flexible/online job that lets me travel ie private 'Zoom' psychiatrist. I'd also like to earn a relatively comfortable amount of money whilst being in a dynamic job that interests me and/or helps people, that doesn't seep too much into my private life (ie a job that's meant to be 9-5 yet ends up being 9-9).

I'm well aware that my ideals aren't achievable instantly, however I want to prioritise my time, family, and money in a fair amount of time whilst having a good level of education. I feel I've been slightly brainwashed into the 'Uni is the Only Way Forward for Smart People' mentality from both my school and parents.

Any advice/ideas for things to look into would be great. If it's any help I'm quite interested in med in general, novel drug development/research and biology.
Reply 1
I would say you need to question your motive for wanting to do medicine in the first place and whether you are doing it for the right reasons? Despite your concerns you might still get the grades you need.

To do medicine you have to love dirty people in all their states of disarray. The great unwashed, the smelly, the abusive, the unreasonable and still have the patience of a saint. No matter how much someone is an arse and you would love to inflict pain on them you still have to do the best for them and understand what makes them tick.

If you are so determined to do medicine and you were on the edge of a total rejection you have to suck up where ever you can get in to study as a no brainer - particularly if there were no other options left and just get on with it. Despite your reservations about Swansea it could turn out to be the best decision you ever made if it was your last chance to study medicine and you are so determined to do medicine? It is the colleagues and your team that make your journey the best ever rather than the geographical fix. If your results are a single grade down you should still make contact with the med school of your chosen Uni's to see if they would take you after interview with a dropped grade? You will lose nothing for asking.

Be warned - The amount of studying and hours of work you need to put in to survive medicine can be horrendous. Even if you have no dependants and no other commitments your work and continued study can suck the living daylights out of you. If you have dependants it can be horrendous even to find the energy to say hello. Eat sleep work, Eat sleep work - start again cycle. If you are one of those people who can just look at something and know it you have an easier life. If you have to graft and graft just to keep up you will have a bruising ride. There are no cushy hours in training - you have a long way to go (years) before you can get that. You can also expect to transfer around a lot which is very disruptive. Are you really ready for that? I get the feeling you would be very resentful if you had to put yourself out to work round the clock and that is a lifestyle you are buying into for several years?

Please note there are forums on this site (medical schools, medicine) that can help you discuss your options better than the general forum here.

If you are determined enough you can achieve the impossible.

Where ever you end up - Good luck.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending