The Student Room Group

Help, I want to become a good student again!!

Hi I’m a year 11 student and I have decided that I’m going to do Physics, Math and Chem next year. I want to become an engineer and get into one of the best universities. I’ve been top of my class all the way until year 10 and I’ve loved school but all of a sudden I’m in the middle of my class and I feel unbothered.Sometimes I find glimmers of my past self getting perfect scores and sometimes I get mid grades. I don’t know how to start studying again(I don’t really revise and study anymore) and find my love for math and school again.
Original post by Isk338
Hi I’m a year 11 student and I have decided that I’m going to do Physics, Math and Chem next year. I want to become an engineer and get into one of the best universities. I’ve been top of my class all the way until year 10 and I’ve loved school but all of a sudden I’m in the middle of my class and I feel unbothered.Sometimes I find glimmers of my past self getting perfect scores and sometimes I get mid grades. I don’t know how to start studying again(I don’t really revise and study anymore) and find my love for math and school again.
Hi @Isk338

I can relate to this feeling, and I found it always came down to overworking myself and then feeling a lack of motivation. You have a future goal in mind with your A Levels, so maybe you can use this as a way to focus yourself. You want to achieve the grades to allow you to move onto your next goal. And if you achieve this, you'll be one step closer to going to uni and becoming an engineer.

I think having things to look forward too can really help. Whether this be your academic goals, a holiday or event in the summer, or even meeting up with friends at the end of the week, having something to work towards helps me to feel motivated to work hard to push through to the things I'm looking forward to.

I also find simply changing my mindset can really help. Instead of thinking "I have to do this" when working and revising, you could start thinking "I get to do this". You are able and have access to this education, so use this mindset to help you get back on track. Simply changing the way you think about your work can help you find your motivation again. Just remember to take it easy and to look after yourself too to avoid burn out.

Best of luck!
Emily :smile:
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Isk338
I can relate to this feeling, and I found it always came down to overworking myself and then feeling a lack of motivation. You have a future goal in mind with your A Levels, so maybe you can use this as a way to focus yourself. You want to achieve the grades to allow you to move onto your next goal. And if you achieve this, you'll be one step closer to going to uni and becoming an engineer.
I think having things to look forward too can really help. Whether this be your academic goals, a holiday or event in the summer, or even meeting up with friends at the end of the week, having something to work towards helps me to feel motivated to work hard to push through to the things I'm looking forward to.
I also find simply changing my mindset can really help. Instead of thinking "I have to do this" when working and revising, you could start thinking "I get to do this". You are able and have access to this education, so use this mindset to help you get back on track. Simply changing the way you think about your work can help you find your motivation again. Just remember to take it easy and to look after yourself too to avoid burn out.
Best of luck!
Emily :smile:
Student Rep at BCU
thank you so much:biggrin:
Original post by Isk338

This is exactly what happened to me, for me I had to find what was really making me feel that way. I found that I kept telling myself that I couldn't do it and that I would never be as good as my twin brother and that really put me down.
Once you start to revise you really get into the swing of it, so, on the first day of revision, do maybe 2-3hours, then on the second day do maybe 3-4hrs and really build that up and you should get into the flow of things.

I also imagine how proud my parents will be of me once I get the grades I have been trying so hard for, because at the end of the day, its for your future and even though it may seem like a drag now, you will be so grateful for how hard you worked once you get into the university you want to go to and become an engineer (which i'm pretty sure you will).

Dont try 7 hours of revison on the first day then wonder why it was so hard and have no motivation to do anything, it just wont work so just slowly stagger into it (trust me it helped me so much)

I hope I helped a little :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending