The Student Room Group

Is a Photography degree worth it?

Hi! I’m supposed to be starting university in September as a mature student however as the time is creeping up, I’m beginning to question if the chosen degree is worth it or if I shouldn’t waste money. I am desperate to become a Paramedic and the Photography course interested me because I know I can do that as I’ve done it as a hobby for 12 years - so it was a bit of a “I’ve been rejected so I won’t push myself to do something that’s I don’t know” kind of decision?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I’m supposed to be starting university in September as a mature student however as the time is creeping up, I’m beginning to question if the chosen degree is worth it or if I shouldn’t waste money. I am desperate to become a Paramedic and the Photography course interested me because I know I can do that as I’ve done it as a hobby for 12 years - so it was a bit of a “I’ve been rejected so I won’t push myself to do something that’s I don’t know” kind of decision?

Strictly speaking you don't need a degree in photography to become a photographer. Don't get me wrong, I know there is some good material in the degree on techniques and ways of improving quality (I didn't do a degree in the subject, but I know people who have), but you don't need to do a degree to get the same information.

If you want to become a paramedic, you would need a specific type of accredited degree in paramedic science.
I don't think anyone who hasn't done a paramedic science degree will be completely competent in being a paramedic; it's usually something you would need to study and train for. In other words, I fail to see how your argument of “I’ve been rejected so I won’t push myself to do something that’s I don’t know” holds for anyone applying to become a parademic.

Personal recommendation is to reapply for paramedic science again, but this time do something to spice up your personal statement (or improve your grades/choice of subjects, if they don't meet the necessary requirements) e.g. become a first aider for a club or company, volunteer at your local hospital in the paramedic department.

Having said that, if you insist on doing a photography degree, that's your choice.

I think it's important to make the right decision for you, after all, you're going to be studying this subject for 3 years if not more (potentially). Make informed decisions about where you'd like to study based on what that university offers and then my best advice would be to go with your heart.

There are lots of good examples of people who have studied Photography at degree level and have gone on to do great things and of course the same for studying Paramedic Science so I don't feel that either would be a 'waste of money' if it's something you're passionate about and you see yourself building a career in. If your interests are really with becoming a Paramedic then go for it! what's the worst that can happen?

Hey there!
As it has already been said, you don't need a degree to become a photographer. A degree in photography can help expand your knowledge and introduce you to more working practices you probably wouldn't have been introduced to had you not done the degree. Having said this, if it's something you really enjoy doing and have been doing it for a very long time then I don't doubt that you already know what you're doing. The only major advantage I can see to a photography degree is that you get your work put in an exhibition at the end of it which can introduce you to contacts. It completely depends on which of the two you prefer and no one can answer that question for you but yourself.

Have you considered doing a paramedic degree and then joining a photography society? That could be a good way to maintain your hobby and still be doing both things during the week. Once again I don't know which one you prefer so if you seriously prefer Photography then do your degree in that because there's no point paying all that money and time to be a paramedic if you don't see it as your ultimate career goal. You need to enjoy your career and not just see it as a way to make ends meet so if you prefer one against the other then definitely go for that.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 4

If you like it then why not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending