The Student Room Group

A level choices

I went to a sixth form open evening tonight. (For context, I want to be a psychologist/therapist - anything in that area). I really liked the sound of many subjects, such as: psychology, maths, politics, sociology, spanish and criminology
Which of these would be best to study at university?
Also, would doing psychology, sociology and criminology be considered as weak for university?
Original post by isabella829138
I went to a sixth form open evening tonight. (For context, I want to be a psychologist/therapist - anything in that area). I really liked the sound of many subjects, such as: psychology, maths, politics, sociology, spanish and criminology
Also, would doing psychology, sociology and criminology be considered as weak for university?

Hi @isabella829138

All of the subjects you have mentioned sound great for moving on to university. I would always advise you to choose A Level subjects that you think you will enjoy and have an interested in, as this will help keep you motivated - especially during exam season.

Psychology would be a great subject to choose to move on to psychology/ therapy based subjects at uni. And I believe there are no weak/easy A Levels. They're all a challenge in their own way. If you have a look at some university entry requirements pages, you'll find a lot of them require a certain amount of UCAS points or certain grades, but quite often they don't specify the subjects, so I would say to choose the subjects you like the most, and everything will fall into place from there.

Hope this helps.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Is criminology that weird WJEC qualification that many universities don't accept? If you want to study psychology another science would open more universities up to you.
Original post by ageshallnot
Is criminology that weird WJEC qualification that many universities don't accept? If you want to study psychology another science would open more universities up to you.

Thanks! I do relatively well in the sciences but i don’t really enjoy them too much so this will be quite a difficult decision!

@isabella829138
I did Sociology at degree and Psychology at Masters level, and have worked in F.E/H.E for 10 years.

If you want to become a psychologist the best option of those is to do Psychology, and eventually you will have to do doctorate level study in a specific area of it like educational or clinical psychology - some people do a masters in the middle but that is not essential but is useful.

The issue with psychology career's is that people often do a degree and then run out of steam or don't get the opportunities to do the following years studying, which means the job market is saturated with people with just a psychology degree - a lot opt to do a PGCE (teacher training) instead

Degree's are only weak in the sense that as currency in the job market a lot of people now have them, so these days, a degree doesn't differentiate you from other people as much

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest