The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

because the course was better, and i get the chance to go to MIT in my third year... and my mum went to oxford, so thought i'd try the other one

EDIT: yeh i know i'm not an applicant anymore, but oh well
didgeridoo12uk
because the course was better, and i get the chance to go to MIT in my third year... and my mum went to oxford, so thought i'd try the other one

EDIT: yeh i know i'm not an applicant anymore, but oh well

:rofl: "I applied to Cambridge so that I could go to MIT."
Reply 3
I'm not even in Sixth Form yet but if I later on apply there, it'll be because its a good course and obviously because its Cambridge - enuf said. (: x
Reply 4
Because I like bridges. :h:
generalebriety
:rofl: "I applied to Cambridge so that I could go to MIT."

do you have any idea how expensive MIT is to go to! let alone multiple flights every year etc! this is by far the sensible option
lola1993
and obviously because its Cambridge - enuf said. (: x

i believe the OP means, why cambridge and not oxford etc... so 'and obviously because its cambridge' is obviously not enough said =]
Reply 7
Course is seriously lush (Oxford doesn't do NatSci), city (at least on paper) seems lovely, and (convoluted reasoning warning) I used to live in the Commonwealth, so all my A Level sitting friends will be applying to Ox/bridge next year, and I thought I'd give it a shot and also get to play the big advice giver when their time comes as I'd still have gone through the UCAS navigation and stuffs regardless of outcome :p:
Reply 8
didgeridoo12uk
i believe the OP means, why cambridge and not oxford etc... so 'and obviously because its cambridge' is obviously not enough said =]

:ditto: and why Cambridge/Oxford at all! I think its a decision that should be thought through very carefully because it has the potential to be very disappointing if people aren't conscious of their motives.
I loved the sound of the course, the atmosphere around Cambridge is excellent, and it's pretty much the top uni in the country so might as well go for it, as I stand a chance =).
Reply 10
because its one of the best oxbridge colleges
Reply 11
It all sounds great but the reasons why I'm not applying is because of the college fees (I will have to pay as a graduate applicant) and not being allowed to have a part time job.
Reply 12
I'm a scientist and Cambridge is supreme in sciences! :smile:

I'd also like to be around really clever people in an evironment that cultivates and encourages excellence so that I can produce my very best. Its one life we have and the intellectual peak is usually in the early 20s right?

Additionally the way they do Chemical Engineering there really suits me; I really don't want to give up pure science yet and in a way want to prolong the decision not only to pursue Engineering but also to choose between Physics and Chemistry if I do decide to go along the pure science path. I actually also want to sample Materials Science to see what that's like.

do you have any idea how expensive MIT is to go to! let alone multiple flights every year etc! this is by far the sensible option

MIT has extremely generous financial aid. If you want to go there just apply. (Pretty late to start and do all their essays and stuff now though >.<)
Reply 13
Well, for me, a international student, reputation is crucial...
Reply 14
erm because i want to think im the best for 3/4 years and then once i graduate i want to try looking for a job in a recession for a job i was presumably guaranteed but i wont get so ill go with a less presitigious job and start on 18k like everyone else and by then property prices will be high so ill still be living with my parents then ill go into teaching and make little kids lives hell :frown:
Reply 15
Hey even if i had the grades for Cambridge i wouldnt go, ive lived here all my life and it is a pretty dull place tbh :P
The course although worst than UCL, Cardiff and Bath, was still a LOT better than the rest, and it would be cool to say i got accepted into cambridge.
Reply 17
LH123
Because I like bridges. :h:

Because I like the Cam :yep:
Juggy123
erm because i want to think im the best for 3/4 years and then once i graduate i want to try looking for a job in a recession for a job i was presumably guaranteed but i wont get so ill go with a less presitigious job and start on 18k like everyone else and by then property prices will be high so ill still be living with my parents then ill go into teaching and make little kids lives hell :frown:

You shouldn't box people - it isn't really fair.
1: I don't think I'm the best at anything, and I know my course and Uni is a far cry from everyone's cup of tea.
2. I'm a social scientist. I'll be lucky if someone lets me volunteer, nevermind these guaranteed jobs you speak of :rofl:
3: I left home four years ago and have held a few full time jobs since then.
4: I wouldn't touch teaching with a punting pole, but its up for debate whether or not I make my babysitees' lives hell :biggrin:
Reply 19
Really good course with quite a bit of free rein (but many English courses are like that) and amazing singing opportunities in a really nice town with some super heritage.

After interview, though, I'm not exactly confident.

Latest

Trending

Trending