The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
shadowkin
Yeah. I suppose so...hmm. but London has plenty of universities better than TV.

But TVU is on the outskirts ins't more kind of Reading way? For those who live in the Thames valley and may not be able to afford to go into London it is ideal, especialy for those wanting to do part time jobs. This is TVU's niche.

It can't really compete at all offering degrees for people who want to go university in the tradional sense, this why it dosn't have any halls of residences (as far as I am aware),

I suppose it can be seen more of a competetor to the Open University, only the OU may be more respected.

TVU is also the largest provider of HE education in there area.

*Snob mode on: Note do not setup a business in the Thames Valley Area*

*Snob mode off: Sorry :p: *
Reply 41
Chardonnay
Oxbridge + the 3 london unis = golden triangle.

Same here.
Reply 42
SiAnY
I'd never heard of ICL until I joined this forum lol

I didn't either or LSE, or any of the London universities really, there is no reason why I should know them though, I live 200 miles away.
Reply 43
AT82
But if a Warwick student was to make all sorts of mistakes on their CV and the Westminster one used good grammar and spelling I know which one I would give the job to.

Your hypothetical situation is correct in principle. But you see - in reality, that is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen (i.e. an Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Imperial/Warwick student is very unlikely to make that sort of mistake because they had to be of a certain level of meticulousness to be admitted AND their universities would have given them ample warning about such things - like having the biggest employers' graduate recruitment managers hosting special drinks receptions for them to tell the students how to apply!).
LSE
Oxford
Cambridge
ICL
UCL/Nottingham
Ah, nice to see someone's put Nottingham. :smile:
Reply 46
AT82
But TVU is on the outskirts ins't more kind of Reading way? For those who live in the Thames valley and may not be able to afford to go into London it is ideal, especialy for those wanting to do part time jobs. This is TVU's niche.

It can't really compete at all offering degrees for people who want to go university in the tradional sense, this why it dosn't have any halls of residences (as far as I am aware),

I suppose it can be seen more of a competetor to the Open University, only the OU may be more respected.

TVU is also the largest provider of HE education in there area.

*Snob mode on: Note do not setup a business in the Thames Valley Area*

*Snob mode off: Sorry :p: *

TVU is nearer Slough. Reading College of Higher Education has joined with TVU, last year I think, but as far as I'm aware its not an alternative campus, just the degrees are certified by TVU, or something along those lines.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't call Reading the outskirts of London, its a good 30-40 mins from the outskirts.
SiAnY
Ah, nice to see someone's put Nottingham. :smile:

Yeh i would rate it in the top 6 as it has a better reputation then some people think, although i may be slightly biased as i have a offer there. But i would also rather go to LSE then oxford/camb. which is why id rate it higher.
Reply 48
Chicken
TVU is nearer Slough. Reading College of Higher Education has joined with TVU, last year I think, but as far as I'm aware its not an alternative campus, just the degrees are certified by TVU, or something along those lines.

Argh right, that will be like Chester getting its degrees from Liverpool Hope.
Chicken

EDIT: Also I wouldn't call Reading the outskirts of London, its a good 30-40 mins from the outskirts.

Slough? that sounds really good for a student to go. I know one thing about Slough, its got an IECC.
Reply 50
InterCity125
Slough? that sounds really good for a student to go. I know one thing about Slough, its got an IECC.

Eww. Slough. *Shudder*
Reply 51
AT82
But if a Warwick student was to make all sorts of mistakes on their CV and the Westminster one used good grammar and spelling I know which one I would give the job to.

I guess one just has to assume that as Warwick is the better institution ie..funded better, more resources, it has higher entry requirements..which it evidently does. Thse universities don't just get their reputations for nothing...It is because their students tend to have a history of excellence in their subjects and in the workplace, a quality which is the university itself in many ways helps them to achieve(although they tend to pick the best students anyway!). All I'm saying is that these universities are known to nurture the best talent, and I dont think that it is very likely for anyone, especially someone which HAS attended university to be making such silly mistakes on their CV's anyway. The crunch is how much expertise the have in their subjects, their confidence levels etc.
Reply 52
~Sam~
I never realised that Warwick was thought of so highly

Me neither... and my dad teaches there... lol :biggrin:
Reply 53
InterCity125

It's also where 'The Office' was set.

That's about all its got going for it...
Reply 54
Chicken
It's also where 'The Office' was set.

That's about all its got going for it...

And the fact that it's got a station, so you can get the hell out of there!
d750
?
I think anyone who puts Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and LSE in their list is definitely reflecting public opinion. They do stand out as the best 5 universities in the UK, without much doubt.

Not just public but international and academic opinion.
Reply 56
UCE university of central england
OXFORD
CAMBRIDGE
UCL
LSE
WARWICK

NOW THATS HOW IT IS!
THANK TOU!
Reply 57
What is the definition of a good university? teaching? research? student support? resources? good management? and who are league tables to tell us who is? its just someone elses opinion, and some league tables just cause more confusion, for example in last years league tables for Politics degrees the times placed sheffield 2nd, whist the guardian placed it 35th!!, the best universitiy is the one that suits you the most
If you go to any Russell Group university, you're sorted :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
King's College London
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics & Political Science